Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pokerguard

Fall tomato from seed?

pokerguard
11 years ago

Just got in a pack of Pearson tomato seeds to give them a shot.

Is now a good time to plant them indoors to get seedlings for re-transplant?

This will be my last attempt at growing tomatoes in Phoenix.

Comments (7)

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    11 years ago

pokerguard, When I start seedlings they take about six weeks to mature to transplant size. Be sure to factor in a hardening off time as well. Ideally, you should have started in early July but try it. We can never tell if the winter will be mild or brutal. You might luck out with a mild winter and the Pearson will produce through winter and into spring.

Do we want to go to the issue of why this is your "....last attempt"? Each time I fail, there is a reason, I keep adjusting until I 'get it'. [grin] If you are interested, I have about 100 tomato seedlings ready to plant, unfortunately it's too darn hot to plant them. My mistake? Starting seeds June 1st. If I'd started July 1st, it would have been just right. Note to self in the gardening journal.

One more tip, Pearson's are a warm weather tomato. There are lots of tomato seed that have been bred to produce in cool temps. That was my mistake two years ago - I didn't realize that. So, fwiw - many of these seedlings are cool weather varities and are available for sale at this time. Anyone interested please contact me through the email on My Page. $4/qt size, $5/half gallons Cheers and Happy Gardening......Mary

Here's my "Tomato Jungle"

{{!gwi}}

More:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

sigh......they looked so tiny when I started. We are schlepping them out to the patio early am, like around 5, then back inside by noon'ish in this heat. This is why I would like to sell many of them now.....the babysitting is a chore.

• Pagancat
    11 years ago

I want some! I didn't know about cool vs. warm with 'maters, either. Glad someone has this info, lol...

Let me know and I'll bring you a bag of dried manure, ha!

11 years ago

PC - Come and get some. Really! We have a long weekend out of town planned next weekend and I just don't know what will become of these babies. Scheesch! I don't have the right lighting setup indoors .... send me an email so we can connect.

• Pagancat
    11 years ago

You've got mail!

• pokerguard
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Last time because they ultimately fail because they always split. I specifically purchased the Pearson because they are heat tolerant.

Now, I've never had a Pearson, so not sure if I'll like it or not. That's why I'm planting these now.. and hoping these plants will survive the mild winter and they'll continue into spring next year.

I figured I may be a bit late, but I'll give it a shot anyhow, and am actually going to plan on growing one in a 5 gal bucket rather than my garden bed.

I've had chile plants last 4 years

11 years ago

Large fruit tomatoes will split in our growing conditions. Maybe try to find a smaller, as in mid-sized, tomato whose flavor you can live with.

It's really difficult to grow that size tomato fruit here. They take a long time to grow to their ripe size and our seasons are short.

In spring/summer the challege is to *warm* the soil temp so we can plant the transplants and get procuction before high air temps do us in.

In fall/winter the oppposite occurs: we have to wait for the soil temps to *cool* before we can set out the transplants, although this problem is easier than the spring/summer issue. We can cover plants to protect from frost. It's hard to protect plants from heat.

This configuration gives us less than 80 days, usually, for each of our seasons.

My advice? Keep trying till it works.

• quotetheraven
    11 years ago

I agree with Marymcp, just keep tweaking things. I start my tomato's on the patio around Nov, really. We put up plastic around the patio and hang a light inside, so instant greenhouse. Then they get hardened off to outside when it warms up again and instant tomato. Did the same with the peppers. We use the cheap opaque painters plastic from walmart. It worked so well, that I would sit out there with my book (and garden catalogs :) all thru winter, it was nice and warm.

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz