Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tomatoes

Posted by bigeworld 9b surprise az (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 31, 08 at 2:04

well my srihng plant i dont think are going to make it now very dry but i have some cuttins indoor trying to root them i may have started to late. oh well i can buy plants think ill do cherry this fall maybe i can find sungold they are the best for me i have seeds but its to late to start i did start some zucinni im looking forword to the flowers there so good fried in egg wash and romano cheese or stuffed with a little pepper jack then fried in egg wash. ill be lookin for tomato plant at my usual haunts any advice on where to get plants ernie in surprise.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tomatoes

I am scared to start a fall crop. Only because it's so hot out still. I'm scared they will die before they ever get going! I just hope that I get a great crop this fall.

o

I've kept my three tomato plants alive all summer, and towards the middle of august they started looking pretty ragged, but they're definitely perking up now. They sense a difference in the weather. Keep them shaded a little while longer if you do plant them now. If you're doing seedlings, I suggest starting them indoors so that you have older plants when you feel safe to put them in the ground. if you're going with plants, find the biggest largest ones you can find, they stand the best chance of giving you a better crop this fall. If you protect your tomato plants through the frost, expect a bumper crop come spring.

o

I am happy that your plants made it through the summer. (at least someones did) I am putting them into large pots to grow. We are excited to eat fresh tomatoes again! The heat is starting to go down but I will still keep them shaded. When it gets below 90, they won't need the shade anymore correct?

o

bought some cherry, big beef , and early girl bush with toms on it already there doing good. im shadeing with burlap now was useing a comercial sun screen from lowes witch is now over squash doing good ill be moving toms to the sunnest spot today will still shade with burlap as they get tougher. al's mix is holding up seems better this planting as the pine fines i used wernt to fine but broke down some.looking forward to useing for yrs. it was worth the effort to mix it for my large containers 18 to 26 gal. jerseymariah get some strong well developed plants shade for now youll do ok . ernest

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here