Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Herbs in containers

Posted by sharonlf z10 AZ (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 27, 10 at 3:07

I have never grown herbs but would like to try a few....basil, chives, oregano, maybe some dill. I am unable to build a raised bed right now so would have to grow them in pots at first....or as soon as it cools off a bit. Hopefully they will do okay in pots until the hot weather arrives again next summer. Will they be okay in pots during the summer once established or will I lose them in the heat? Also do I need to use clay pots instead of the plastic ones?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Herbs in containers

Hiya Sharon and all,

I love herbs too and always have a few growing. Growing them in pots is actually a nice way to grow them since you can move the pots into more sun during winter and less sun in summer, etc. I've had a rosemary topiary (lollipop trained, LOL) growing in a large terracotta pot for many years and really love it. Basil is good in summer in pots as long as the pots get some shade (you don't want to cook the roots), and rosemary is great in pots too (sun in winter, shade or morning sun in summer if it's in a pot). Mint, oregano, and chives are usually good to, again, as long as they get that shade for the pot in summer (plenty of plants that thrive in full sun in summer in the ground still need some shade in summer in a pot).

I grow almost everything in terracotta pots, but I've had success with plastic too and I know lots of folks who swear by plastic as it needs less water. I guess it's just a matter of personal preference.

Even if your herbs only grow from autumn through early summer, that's longer than the season folks in cold winter areas get so you'll still have plenty to harvest. Early and mid autumn are good times to give new herb plantings a try.

I'm sure other folks will chime in too. Let us know what you try and how it works out. Good luck and keep us posted!

Take care,
Grant

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here