Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carrie_az

Can gardenias grow in our heat..

Carrie_AZ
18 years ago

I want to plant a gardenia, but I am not sure it will grow in our heat, remember it gets hotter out here in L.H.C. then Phoenix, I would say by 8 degrees. I have a spot that gets a little morning sun, not much, then the rest of the day it is all shade.

Can I grow a gardenia here????????? Not much else will grow there because of the shade from a large Queen Elizabeth rose bush.

Thanks Carrie

Comments (8)

• User
    18 years ago

From what I understand, the soil and water are the main drawbacks for Gardenias here, but I do believe it has been done successfully.

Lynn

• judy_b
    18 years ago

Gardenias seem to find it difficult to set flowers in the heat, but mine in eastern exposure is doing fine this summer.

• Pagancat
    18 years ago

Hi Carrie-

We were talking about this earlier - I'll give the link to one of the messages that has some good info and if you'd like more, use the search function at the bottom of the first page. We have a number of gardenia lovers here.

Good luck, HTH!

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardenia Conversation

• aunthoney
    18 years ago

I'm not too far from you (I'm in Needles, CA) and I've never been successful with Gardenias in our heat. I have a large Jasmine which has done extremely well, but I've planted - and lost - four Gardenia bushes. If you find the right combination of soil amendments, etc. to make it work, please let me know. I love gardenias! Good luck.

• Desert_Heat
    18 years ago

Definetly. You need to watch them very carefully when it is really hot and dry though. I have had success growing them in containers. The one I planted in the ground under an overhang with a Northern exposure died quickly. I have 3 in containers (one is a tree shaped "First Love" variety) and they are easier to handle because I can move them around, providing more shade in summer and more sun in winter. Also I don't have to worry about the poor draining alkaline soil. Mine stressed out a bit when it was 110-115 every day but since the monsoon hit they are looking really good. I put them all under the mesquite tree and they get a lot of shade and can enjoy the rain. When watering with a hose I make sure I flood it really well once in a while to wash the salt from the roots so I don't get leaf tip burn. I mulch them all with bark chips, fertilize with fish emulsion or fertilizer for acid loving plants occasionally and throw in coffee grounds whenever I think of it. Major blooming comes in Spring for mine.

• theoldben
    9 years ago

I have lived in Arizona (Tempe) all my life and we had a gardenias that grew to 4-6 feet tall. The location was on the North side of the house. We had a raised bed/ planter that ran the length of the house and about 24-32 in high. filled with top soil. they were watered by flooding them about once a month during the winter and every week during the summer. When I drive by the old house I can see that it is still doing well, but not as well as when we lived in the house.

• HaroldinGlendale
    9 years ago

Had friends who lived off 15th Ave across from Christown mall who had about 10 feet of 6' tall bushes planted on the north side of their garage, with a small walkway and then mammoth olenders next to that. It was really a jungle. She would often bring bags of huge gardenia blooms to share at events every year. You just need to establish the right environment.

• toffee-el
    9 years ago

Not sure about Phoenix, but here in Palm Desert, CA, Gardenia grow very well.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?