Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
magnetogram

tucson gardenwebers

magnetogram
18 years ago

i would like to make a list of the members in tucson and surrounding towns (marana, oracle, vail etc.) please chime in.

i know that we are a few members stronger this summer.

thanks - detrick

Comments (83)

• magnetogram
    Original Author
    18 years ago

hey , isn't that bad for the books! LOL just couldn't resist.

glad to "see" all the new faces. we should definitely plan a get -together. i could host something or we could just me at one of the local gardens for introduction. let's give it some thought.

anyone going up to phoenix for oct 1st?

detrick

• momherb
    18 years ago

I've been in NY helping out during a family health crisis and haven't been able to keep in touch. I'm in central Tucson. We just bought a new house near Broadway and Craycroft. Blank pallet filled with Bermuda grass on the west side of the house and mostly dirt in the back yard. I'll have my gardening work cut out for me. I'm ordering some unusual herbs and some great salad greens for the fall plant sale at TBG. Hope to see some of you there!

• Oswegian
    18 years ago

Hi, I lived in Tucson for 13 years: in Sam Hughes when I was at the U. and later down by the Raquet club at the Rillito (Tucson Blvd/Country Club block of Allen, same block as Valley of the Moon). We are coming back one day, I hope.

I like to read this forum. It gives me a "warm" feeling here in the Midwest, especially long about January. I'm at yahoo as wilmawilcat and still look at the local papers online pretty much every day. Never miss John Begeman in the Home Section. Used to go to George Brookbank's lectures at the Extension Center on Campbell.

• flaming_librarian
    18 years ago

Thanks Sheryl, I'm glad you like my name. I'm a newbie, so it is nice to hear.

Momherb, I know what you mean about having your work cut out for you. Our house was pretty sparsely landscaped when we moved (good - mostly blank palette / bad - what was there evinced questionable landscaping taste). I've had the most luck so far with herbs and vegetables. I've got the perfect little shady spot to the east of my porch where my peppers, basil, oregano, parsley and thyme have been living very happily through the crazy heat of the summer . . . lets not talk about the rest of the garden ;).

Now . . . to finish the raised beds in the back.

• Kirch
    18 years ago

Me too. New, permanent, transplant from Seattle - on the eastern side of the 'Cat Hills' (Catalina Foothills).

Can I prune oleander now or do I have to wait?

• Andrikos
    18 years ago

Greetings from Rancho Sahuarita!
    Andreas here.

We've been happily living here since Xmas 2003 after moving from downtown Tucson (Armory Park).

I'm totally a CITRUS and FRUIT TREE guy.
    So far I have 14 different kinds of citrus and a few dozen other fruit trees including GUAVAS!! Mmmm, I LOVE Guavas.. ;)(Also, figs, apples, asian pears, plums, nectarines, almonds,etc.)

Anyway, I'm also growing cukes, OKRA, eggplants, artichokes, zucchini, cantaloupes, watermelons, etc. etc.
    Oh yeah, I also have bunches of herbs. We have so much BASIL, the birds over here are going insane!! :)

All my trees are small but the potential is truly enormous!
    Having fun in the desert!

Andreas
    PS In case all above are not hints enough, I'm Greek! ;)

• stemy
    18 years ago

Down in Vail in Rancho del Lago

• quietyard
    18 years ago

Kirch, check the southwestern garden forum where I earlier posted an answer to your oleander question that was asked at that site.

• Pagancat
    18 years ago

Wow. Lots of new folks! Welcome, all! Hope to see you guys post often - we don't hear nearly enough from our Tucson contingent.

Great thread, huh, D?

>smile

• nina_gretta
    18 years ago

I'm in Tucson. From Illinois, But Military makes you move.

• magnetogram
    Original Author
    18 years ago

i agree pc. we definitely have to plan something. perhaps, i should host a garden party next spring.

detrick

• tucsontropicaldude
    17 years ago

New post to an old thread. Was looking for other information and came across this thread. Live northeast of Valencia/Houghton. Lived all over Tucson (semi-old native)

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    17 years ago

Tropical - There will be a Tucson plant swap and general get-together on Nov 11. Might be a good time for you to meet other gardeners in your area. Try emailing magnetogram for more details. Otherwise, I'll post a link when they are posted on another forum.
    Mary

• winter_plumage_AZ
    17 years ago

tucsondude, many Tucson gardeners post (and lurk!) on the dave's garden website--southwest gardening forum. magnetogram is there, too--with a different userID.

• biermaster
    17 years ago

I am in the Morningside area off Comino de Oste. Plant in continers, heirloom tomatoes and peppers. Compost the dropping of Weeping Pepper trees. Have a large yard front and back that I keep working on for 7 years now.

• susanzone5 (NY)
    17 years ago

I wanna spend the winters in Tucson!!! I've been staying there for a few weeks every February/March for a while and I love it there!

Can anyone point me in the direction of an inexpensive rental unit? Most of the ones listed with realtors are way too expensive. The cheaper ones are rented far in advance.
    Thanks!

• maxxie
    17 years ago

Hi...I'm close to Sabino Canyon...I find gardening in Tucson frustrating but I keep on trying.

• magicgarden_az
    17 years ago

I was born and raised over on 5th Street between Craycroft and Wilmot and acquired the homestead after my folks passed on about 3 years ago. Since I work in New York City, I hired a caretaker and come home for a week every 3 months. My folks were sick for a long time and the house and land (1 1/3 acres) were let go. But it was an opportunity for a fresh start so I have been landscaping and planting and making it my creation. I have planted 20 trees including my fabulous Jonathan Apple tree which is thriving and has given me 5 apples this year. There are several flower beds that allow me to plant eastern type plants. Tentatively, I am planning a garden party in October of 2007 and will post an invitation.

• chitown033
    17 years ago

I just turned 18, I was born and raised here in the Chicago suburbs, and I have always loved Arizona. I am moving to Tucson next summer, and I will be attending the University of Arizona. I plan to stay in Arizona for the rest of my life =)
    I am really excited for the begining of a new lifelong journey and experience.
    In fact, I already grow lots of desert plants; yuccas, cacti, agaves etc. Here are two quick photos of most of my plants:

{{gwi:413507}}

{{gwi:413508}}

When I graduate and get a place of my own, I know it'll be a blast landscaping it all and growing everything in a completely new environment. Until then, I can just enjoy the abundant plant life that Tucson has to offer!

Kyle

• citrusguy
    17 years ago

Marana resident. Lived in the Tucson area for 17 years.

• eileenaz
    17 years ago

5th and Wilmot here-

• cowchasin4x4
    17 years ago

Way out west in Three Points. A newbie that's been lurking around. Just bought 2 acres and wow, it's cold out here! Everythings freezing that I moved from in town. :X

Christi

• cactus_dude
    17 years ago

I'm currently in Albuquerque, but my wife and I are moving to Tucson in mid-February. I can't wait! Not sure where we'll be living, but we're looking at the U of A area as well as the foothills.

cd

• lisnanerris
    17 years ago

Hi,
    I'm in Maricopa for the moment (at my brother's home) but will be moving to Tucson as soon as I find work there.
    I've come from Sacramento where new saplings appeared in my yard overnight, and other plants were killed by the summer heat when my back was turned.
    I love the desert colors and forms and am really looking forward to learning more. Tonight I start a gradening class at the Cooperative Extension in Casa Grande (my first formal learning).

• amalgamation
    17 years ago

I'm new here and in Tucson :)

• User
    17 years ago

Been in Tucson for almost 21 years, East side, Golf Links/Harrison area. Surprised to see so many in Tucson! I haven't posted here for awhile, so HI everyone!

• joe_tux
    17 years ago

I live near Sabino Canyon, proudly new pond owner :). move to Tucson 12 years ago, like it very much.

• nina_gretta
    17 years ago

I'm here I'v been away from the site for awhile going to school butI'm back. East side near irvington and camino seko.

• the_adams
    17 years ago

Haven't been here in a while! Glad to be back. I'm at 22nd & Pantano.

• sparksals
    17 years ago

I'm in Tucson btwn Ina and Cortaro.

• pieper
    17 years ago

Also newly relocated to Tucson. Snyder & Harrison...

• desertgirl
    17 years ago

Hi, I'm new to the forum, but not new Tucson. Been here most of my life, living on the westside. 1.5 years ago I bought a 20-year old house with not a shred of landscaping...can you imagine living in a house and not planting a thing???? Anyway, the blank slate has definitely worked to my advantage, and I'm busy most weekends sculpting my yard to a desert paradise. I'm using mostly natives, some near-natives, and a couple non-natives I can't resist, and I did just start a small veggie garden this year. Currently I'm getting my yard braced for the summer....and saving up $$ for the next fall sale!!

• desertmarcy
    16 years ago

Is this list still ongoing? I just found it, I use this site from time to time when I need some info. I'm near Ina/Silverbell Rds, have been there for 28 years this month! What's the best forum to use to get information from other Tucson gardeners?

• birdlady21
    16 years ago

East side of Tucson, if anyone is still keeping track. Just discovered the Gardenweb, and I love it. Love Tucson, too. I'm a transplant from the east coast.

• tucsonmike
    16 years ago

I just joined the gardenweb today - in the Sabino Canyon area. Busy landscaping a desolate lot. Planted >100 trees and shrubs this last year - most made it, some not.

• planitl
    16 years ago

Just moved to Sahuarita and just joined the site! Tucson is great! Glad to live so close!

• maz436
    16 years ago

WOW!!! Lots of gardeners in this area! I'm 10 miles S/E of Florence on 5 acres. Trying to green up!

• kristeyk
    16 years ago

I'm "new" to Tucson too. (Grew up here, moved away and now I'm back.) I live out in Continental Ranch.

• rohrerbot
    16 years ago

Count me in...been here for awhile. I live in Midtown by the UA.

• azmactech
    16 years ago

I'm down in Sahuarita (trying a veggie garden for the first time).

• sjrabbit
    16 years ago

I'm a Tucsonan just transplated to Vail. The wind out here is incredible!

• alpal1
    15 years ago

Hi - I am on 21st St, near Country Club. Being a newcomer from Chicago( one year), I have a zillion questions about southwestern gardening. .

• katib_gardener
    15 years ago

I am on the east side. This is the first year I've really tried gardening. Last year I had some tomatoes, peppers, and herbs but I was not very attentive. They didn't survive the heat. I'm trying again this year, hopefully I'll do better.

• lesleydf
    15 years ago

Hi I just joined. I'm also in Tucson. Thanks.

• bgda
    15 years ago

Long time NW Tucson Resident. New to forum

• desertdiva2u
    15 years ago

Newbie here in NW Tucson (Sunflower/Continental Ranch area)

• airangel
    15 years ago

East coast (NYC) transplant 10/97....now E.side next to DMAFB (Golf Links/Wilmot)...just found this forum while researching what I can plant in my new Earthboxes that will tolerate the heat and full sun.

• skoenlaper
    11 years ago

This is an old post but I was wondering if anyone is still here? I live on the East side of Tucson near the Rincons. I want to move to the Sierrita Mtns though. I was wondering how does anyone grow anything here? With the heat, the winds, the lack of rain, not to mention the animals and other creatures that come (some literally) out of the woodwork when a seedling pops up or the ones that don't even wait for that and dig up the seeds as soon as you plant them.

• xoxos
    11 years ago

guard your plants :)

currently experimenting with agricultural silicate, which strengthens the roots against drought and lacerates any larvae in the soil, making it effective prevention against the fungus gnats that generally home in on and chew through seedlings otherwise.

i also sprinkle ceylon cinnamon around seedlings to repel gnats. BTI helps, but the silicate is the best solution i have found.

the trick is to culture or secure a microclimate. far east speedway is mesquite forest which is more accomodating than areas a mile or two away.

• ltews
    10 years ago

Vail- Sonoita HWY and 1-10