Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xica_da_silva

Attack of the Mystery Birds!

xica_da_silva
13 years ago

Hi all,

Just last week, my mom and I put a hanging bird feeder out next to my sunflowers (which are now huge!). The first few days, I was a bit disappointed because the birds seemed not to notice it, but then 2 days ago I opened up my window to a whole flock of what appear to be baby birds. Now I'll probably have to move the feeder because, as much as my cats love the view, those baby birds are there all day, and they're pooping on my sidewalk pavers! I also hope their constant hopping to and fro my sunflowers will not damage my sunflowers!

Anyhow, anyone here who can id what type of birds I've got? I know one of them is Inca Doves, but not sure about the other. Unfortunately, my camera is broken, so I'll try to describe. They have a short finch-like beak, greyish brown wings with white fringes, whitish belly with grey-brown vertical stripes, and the males have a pretty rust color around the head and breast. I originally thought Cactus Wren but I believe the Cactus Wren has a longer beak? It's probably a fairly common bird because there are soooo many of them. (PS. I live in downtown Phoenix)

Comments (6)

• orrin_h
    13 years ago

House Finches.

-O-

• mangledmind
    13 years ago

finches, they ate all our green leaves from our bell peppers and some of the foliage from our melons, FLOCKS of them a dozen or so at a time just come in and munch away ...

• xica_da_silva
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ha! That's exactly it...house finches. Thanks so much!

Aggressive little boogers, they are! And voracious! Sorry to hear of your bad luck, mangled. Fortunately, none of my other flowers seem to be to their taste (but then again, why bother when they can have freebie sunflower seeds from my feeder?). Sadly, I saw another larger bird with a yellow breast and head that seemed to be trying to getting into the action, but I think the sheer numbers of finches overwhelmed the poor fella, in spite of his size advantage. Hmm...maybe I can find a different seed mix that will attract non-flocking birds? If there's such a thing!

• grant_in_arizona
    13 years ago

Fun post! You know, I stopped putting out seed feeders just because I'd get so many birds and they'd make a mess and then start messing with my seedlings etc., so now I just have a hummingbird feeder and then plant plants that make seed for the birds, but no seed feeders. There are lots of different mixes out there so let us know if you try one that brings in a few but not too many, birds.

I do love those house finches, but in moderation. :)

Take care,
    Grant

• xica_da_silva
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Grant,

Wanted to respond to your message and give an update...it's been a while since I've been here!
    Anyhow, I ended up taking the seeds out of my bird-house so now it's just an 'ornamental' bird house. The great thing is, the finches still come around just to check but it's not the bombardment that it was before...it's just the right amount. In fact, they seem more fixated on my sunflowers these days than anything else! Good on them!
    As for the hummingbird feeder, it's already out and next to my Chinese Pistache tree...and guess what? Today I was looking out my front window and saw a pretty green hummingbird take a sip from the feeder! He dashed in and out pretty quickly but it was still very exciting...I hope he will be back!
    What I'd really love to see at some point is a Cardinal, or a Stellar's Jay. But I have a feeling those are a bit harder to attract...I'll have to do some research. The only time I've seen a Cardinal was when I visited Boyce Thomson Arboretum...I can't even remember what it sounded like but it did have a unique chirp. The one I saw was a brightly colored male and he was in a thick, leafy tree. Sadly, he flew away quickly when he saw me approaching. Anyhow, I'll keep you posted for sure if I find any better seed varieties!

• orrin_h
    13 years ago

Cardinals have been abundant this year in Tucson, so keep looking. Black oil sunflower seeds are your best bet for attracting them to the yard.

Stellar's Jays are generally higher elevation birds, though last year we had a flux of high elevation birds come down to visit, including several sightings of Stellar's Jays (I saw one at Sweetwater Wetlands in west Tucson).

-O-

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH