Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kingman, Mohave County Newbie

Posted by theadocia AZ (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 25, 06 at 11:38

Hi! I just recently relocated from Louisiana to Kingman, Arizona in Mohave County. Northwest corner of the state.
I am totally clueless about this type of soil and I need to know where to start in planning my backyard. The house came with 2 shrubs and rocks in the front yard, but the back is reddish orange clay type soil and nothing else. How do you grow things and what will grow and do I have to treat or prepare the soil? Are there any books I should read? Needless to say this a huge difference from the sub tropical climate and landscape I am used to. I really want to plan and execute the space myself, and not have to hire a professional. Appreciate any and all tips.
Thanks so much :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kingman, Mohave County Newbie

I live in Lake Havasu City and the climate and soil are a wee bit different here. If you don't get any answers here you might try at the Dave's Garden Southwestern forums. There you can also search for other people in your zip code.

Here is a link that might be useful: Southwestern Forum

o

Welcome to a very different gardening area. I live in Yucca and found a great deal of help by taking the Master Gardening class at Movhave Community College in Kingman, outstanding classes. Think the classes usually start in January.

o

You can find a wealth of information at the University of Arizona Mohave County Cooperative Extension office in Kingman. Their urban horticulture department is the one that holds the Master Gardener classes mentioned above and provides research-based, non-biased information to the public. I've listed their web address below.

Additional information can be found on-line at the Maricopa County Cooperative Extension web site. Although the elevation is different much of the content will apply to the Kingman area. The web address is http://ag.arizona.edu/maricopa/garden/

Here is a link that might be useful: Mohave County Cooperative Extension

o

Thanks so much to all of you for your responses and suggestions. I will definitely look into the master gardner program, it sounds great!
Meanwhile if you have any organic solutions for the ants here please share :) I can't believe how many ants there are !

o

ORGANIC SOLUTION FOR ANTS!! POUR BOILING WATER ON THE ANT HILL THAT WILL KILL THEM AND ITS REAL CHEAP. THAT ONE COME COMPLIMENTS FROM DAVE "THE GARDEN GUY",ON CHANNEL 3 NEWS.

o

For sugar eating ants, mix boric acid and sugar. Sprinkle it around their hill and they will carry it back and eat it. I haven't figured out a good one for fire ants yet, except to get some guneias or peacocks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here