Comments (11)

• joncongaroo
    10 years ago

Could be jojoba (Simmondsia chinensis).

• Laura81
    Original Author
    10 years ago

JonCongaroo,
    Brilliant!! I think you are right. I have been looking everywhere to find out what it is. Thanks!

• ChasingCenturies (Arizona 9b)
    10 years ago

Yes, that is a Jojoba. I see them around town sometimes all neat and round, and they just look wrong -- yours looks really nice. An occasional springtime clip to encourage fuller growth is all they should ever need to stay attractive and natural looking. You'll find lots of wild Jojobas around when you hike the area, they are a big part of our local flora. If you haven't visited the Dixie Mine yet, highly recommended!

• Laura81
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I haven't been to Dixie Mine. What is it? I am so glad to finally know what the plant is. It doesn't seem to do anything like bloom as of yet. Nothing seems to eat it either.

10 years ago

The Dixie Mine is at the end of the Dixie Mine Trail, one of the best hikes in all of AZ, and the trail-head is right here in Fountain Hills. Click the link for details. You'll find all kinds of Jojobas on the trail, as well as big Cottonwood trees, tall grass, and 500+ year old Indian glyphs near the mine. Fun stuff! Bring your camera.

Jojoba flowers are insignificant, but Jojoba nuts (aka goat nuts) are an actual cash crop of sorts.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dixie Mine Trail

• Laura81
    Original Author
    10 years ago

GermanStar, that sounds like a great walk and photo op. I am so ignorant of what is around here. I am grateful you told me about this!

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    10 years ago

I bookmarked it. Thanks! GermanStar.

I think jojoba is a good plant to forage for making salves and balms. I need to double check my book though for sure. Maybe someone else will know.

10 years ago

^ Yes, that is where the value of the goat nuts lie. (I swear I didn't make up that name).

Here is a link that might be useful: Jojoba Plant

• Laura81
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So that is where jojoba oil comes from. Duh! Very cool!

• aztreelvr
    10 years ago

Jojobas have the ability to 'track' the sun with their leaves exposing only the edges instead of the entire leaf surface. As the sun moves across the sky the leaf turns on its petiole. That way when it gets hot they don't lose as much moisture as other plants. Plus their leaves are a bit thick and fleshy and can store a little moisture in the leaf tissue.

Just a bit of trivia to impress your friends.

• Laura81
    Original Author
    10 years ago

aztreelvr, I love little bits of trivia like that. Now, I can expound with great knowledge on the jojoba or fake it quite well! Thanks!!

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets