Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calb_gardner

Desert plant Kitty paws

calb_gardner
10 years ago

Has anyone had experience with this plant?
I planted it 1 1/2 yrs ago. It was knocked to the ground by the frost this past winter. And as you can see recovered nicely. I did not realize how huge it would be and planted it in my herb garden. Do you think I can transplanted this winter?

Comments (8)

• tomatofreak
    10 years ago

I love this plant! I've had it for several years; it always gets 'killed' in winter and comes back in spring. Yes, you can move it; I've done it three times. Why not wait till winter to dig it up. You can pot it and put it in a sheltered location and relocate when it warms up.

• grant_in_arizona
    10 years ago

Nice pics, Calb and Tomato! I love this plant too and grew it in my last garden, and funny enough, I just stated some old seeds of it this week, so I hope they sprout and become as nice as your plants, or mine in my old garden. Great stuff!

For folks who don't know, the common name is from the seeds which are furry, curved and really DO look like individual kitty toes, LOL. I've seen it in white too (I grew both in my old garden), although I do like the pink the best.

You can definitely transplant it in winter when it's mostly sleeping. And it's easy from seed too.

Fun plant and you're giving me a massive craving, LOL. Happy gardening!

• v8vega
    10 years ago

I get nothing when I google "Kitty Paws." What is it's latin name?

• tomatofreak
    10 years ago

Here's some info from someone who has seeds. When I bought mine, I was told its nickname is Pussy Toes because the seeds look just like kitty toes and are just as soft. Btw, if you want seeds, let me know; I'll have plenty.

Here is a link that might be useful: morning glory bush

• aztreelvr
    10 years ago

This is a great plant with those huge pink flowers that have just a hint of lavender. It's also called Diez en la Manana because its popular in the barrio areas of Mexico and the flowers close up about 10 am. Another name is Tree Morning Glory and as you might guess it grows pretty tall - here to about 8 - 10 feet - on woody stalks. Sometimes the shoots will die back as much as 2 -3 feet with cold weather but the plant grows back as soon as the weather warms again in the spring.
    The seeds are fuzzy and look like kitten toes - hence the name you're familiar with.

Some nurseries carry this plant.

Just google Ipomea carnea

• calb_gardner
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys once it dies back this winter I will relocate it

• Laura81
    10 years ago

Does it stand up by itself or does it need some support?

• tomatofreak
    10 years ago

It stands up fine till it reaches what I call the 'tipping point', then the branches sorta fall over horizontally. I lasso the renegades and pull them upright, tying them a big stake. The stalks are very interesting, not woody like tree branches, but tubular, hollow like a drinking straw. When the plant comes back in spring, you can cut or just twist the dead 'tubes' off at the ground level.

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA