Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristobin

What kind of bugs are these?

Kristin
9 years ago

I have some odd looking bugs in my vegetable garden. They almost look like roaches or beetles. I tried looking it up and I think they might be vegetable weevils but I'm not sure. I mostly see them around my giant zucchini plants. Any ideas and how do I get rid if them? I am a new gardener.

Comments (17)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Western conifer seed bug, Leptoglossus occidentalis? Not sure.

wear heavy glove, squish or step on. you can't really spray chemicals near your veggies.

Here is a link that might be useful: whats that bug

• jkochan
    9 years ago

Looks like a squash bug, Anasa tristis to me. Are you growing anything in the curcurbit family that might attract them?

• campv 8b AZ
    9 years ago

Yep squash bugs -you need to get rid of them. They like Zuc's and will ruin the crop.
    You can spray them with reg. dish soap-2tbl spoons per gl of water. Do not spray in the hot sun. You also will need to ck under the leaves for brown eggs or you will have a bunch more, you can squish those. They don't like water so hit the plants with water and they will climb on top of the leaves to get away. Then spray them with the soap-die

• Kristin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! I have 2 giant zucchini plants so that sounds right.

• bimaldshah
    9 years ago

I have these same bugs on almost all of my pomegranate fruits. They don't seem to get through the thick skin of the Poms so I haven't done anything about it. Should I get rid of them?

• aztreelvr
    9 years ago

The bugs on pomegranates are usually the leaf footed plant bugs. They have an enlarged, flattened lower hind leg. Their piercing mouthpart does penetrate the skin of pomegranate and introduces bacteria that can cause the fruit to sour.

The web site below has more information and control methods.

Here is a link that might be useful: Leaf Footed Plant Bugs

• bimaldshah
    9 years ago

Thanks aztreelvr. Any suggestions on remedies? Soapy water?

• campv 8b AZ
    9 years ago

Bim you could try the dish soap using the same amount for squash bugs(above) Plant bugs are close to the same.
    Soap suffocates plus most soap has a degreaser in them.
    I would diffidently do something.

• bimaldshah
    9 years ago

Thanks campv - Will try this over the weekend.

On a side note, I always found them together like the picture above and thought they were just "loving" bugs.....:)

• newtoucan
    9 years ago

Those leaf footed bugs ruin all my pomegranate every yr. Get rid of them as soon as you can.

• bimaldshah
    9 years ago

Thanks campv - Will try this over the weekend.

On a side note, I always found them together like the picture above and thought they were just "loving" bugs.....:)

• ernie85017, zn 9, phx
    9 years ago

I have been catching the leaf footed bugs doing the wild thing on my pomegranates. They will NOT have my pomegranates! I go around with a hand spray bottle and blast individual bugs. I am seeing the little red babies as well.
    They have been here all summer and diligence seems to have prevented much damage.

• Fascist_Nation
    9 years ago

Those are not leaf footed bugs. See any leaf on their hind legs? Me neither. Still pretty much the same thing...they suck when they are sucking on my plants or me. They are my friends when they are sucking on bugs sucking on my plants.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

I find that squishing them in the morning is most effective. They are slower moving in the morning. The leaf footed ones will kill a tomato plant slow with what ever they inject. They seam to be susceptible to soapy water only when they are young , darn it.

• campv 8b AZ
    9 years ago

watona-I am sorry you are incorrect. I have killed the Mom and Dads using soap it just takes a little longer for them to die

• ernie85017, zn 9, phx
    9 years ago

Yes, those are not leaf footed bugs pictured. Just commenting on the leaf footed bug post above mine.

• bimaldshah
    9 years ago

I have been using the soap water on the young ones and the mature ones. It seems to be working really well on the young ones but the mature ones are resilient. I have started to pick them out and squish them whenever possible. They are fast though.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?