Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juttah_gw

How do you like your Bonita Ash?

Juttah
11 years ago

I'm considering a Bonita Ash - it's a cultivar of the native AZ ash (aka Fraxinus velutina).

My understanding is that it's similar to a Fan-tex except its growth habit is more wide and low, like a mushroom. We want front-yard shade but don't want a too-tall tree.

If anyone is growing a Bonita, I'd appreciate any info, good or bad. Thanks!

Comments (8)

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    11 years ago

I Googled this tree and notice that some nurseries say it is a good choice for the sw desert and once established requires little water. I [foolishly] planted a shamel ash and finally pulled it out and put in a palo blanco tree instead. The Shamel Ash just did not like the gravel landscaping and required way too much water. I've decided native plants are better choices. My neighbor has a Shamel Ash that looks great but he has a green, green lawn around that tree. Good luck.

• Pagancat
    11 years ago

Juttah, I think we're going to have to ask *you* about it, lol.

I just bought and planted 5 trees and will probably get a few more, but I got a thornless Mesquite, a 'Bubba' desert willow, one of the Cordia boissieri (I believe) that is in tree form, a 'Desert Museum' Palo Verde, and the only one that I *might* regret; a gorgeous Chitalpa. I might regret it only because it seems *really* high water use, but that might just be during establishment.... we'll see. I still have to look into it. But I'm thrilled with how it all looks!

• Juttah
    Original Author
    11 years ago

At least no complaints here, so I'll take that as a positive!

Below is what I believe to be a Bonita Ash, near the Tucson airport. Very dense shade, no seeds, and every fall it turns a gorgeous yellow. There's a few emitters near the trunk, so apparently it doesn't require ridiculous amounts of water.

Pagancat, I seriously considered the Chitalpa and I'm seeing them used increasingly around here, especially along streets and in commercial landscapes. What caused me to shy away is the "splitting bark syndrome" I hear so much about online. I've not seen it on the local Chitalpas yet, but I don't know if that's a regional vs. inevitable condition? Beautiful trees though!

• Pagancat
    11 years ago

Mm - I *think* the splitting bark has to do with them being put in lawn situations, but don't quote me.

Wow, that's some pretty dense shade!

• David Lucente
    11 years ago

Hello, we have a Bonita Ash in our tree lawn. It is only a couple years old but seems to be doing well. I really like that its leaves turn fall colors.

Dave

• neurotic
    11 years ago

I'd be weary of planting any Arizona Ash primarily because of ash decline

http://academic.research.microsoft.com/Paper/10774089

• Betty Monson
    2 years ago

We bought our bonita ash from a reputable nursery and followed their directions, it has thrived! Highly recommend for fast growth, shade, fall color and low water use. Cultivar does not have pest or disease issues of original AZ Ash tree. Live in Oro Valley north of Tucson.

Sponsored