Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grow your own mushrooms?

Posted by tomatofreak Z9 Phx USA (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 7, 12 at 14:37

I've been following this site on FB and I'm intrigued by this idea. Has anyone done this? Does anybody think it's even possible to do in this environment?

Here is a link that might be useful: growing mushrooms

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grow your own mushrooms?

Yeah man ... I grow my own ...

Just kidding. But a friend in college ("Mushroom Diane" we called her) grew edible mushrooms in her kitchen, and based on her behavior, we suspected she grew other kinds of mushrooms as well.

This was years ago, so I don't remember all the details, but I seem to recall she had ordered a sponge or brick-like thing from a Pacific NW grower, which was inoculated with the spores from edible tree mushrooms.

She just dampened it and kept it in a dark location (I think inside her oven, or maybe her opium den) and the sponge/brick kept producing mushrooms which she'd pick periodically. So it definitely can be done here.

o

Well, tommy, I would think they would grow here. We have them regularly coming up in the horse pens in the cooler months. Of course, not sure if those are edible but surely there must be some to grow here with appropriate humidity (like in a greenhouse). I would love to do this too. Hope someone can advise a good resource/reference for this.

o

If it's humidity they want, heaven knows there's enough to go around! Kidding, but I'm guessing the heat is the biggest obstacle. I found this Q&A about growing 'shrooms in TX. I haven't clicked on the link, but I'm going to read it in hopes of finding some that will grow here.

Here is a link that might be useful: mushrooms in hot arid climes

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here