Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New front yard design

Posted by TJB101084 AZ (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 14:40

New to the group so hello! Live in USDA zone 9b. Been viewing the topics here for some time and thought I could now share my front yard design we are having installed as we speak. We wanted to choose plants that would do ok here in AZ and feel we did pretty good but still the tree we are thinking has a 50/50 chance. Let me know what you think!

Grass is fake but high end

This post was edited by TJB101084 on Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 17:55

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New front yard design

Arizona is a big state.

o

San Tan Valley :)

o

pretty generic Arizona yard design and choices of plants. I would visit a local nursery (not HD or Lowes) and look around at what other interesting plants are available and easy to maintain here in AZ that aren't so widely planted all over here like lantanas or natal plums.

why go with fake grass? I would just add more plants for greenery in the front yard if you don't like lawn maintenance. More trees for shade or maybe even some fruit trees?

o

We have 2 kids and sometimes we sit out front while they play so having grass was a must. The grass is nice since we don’t have to water or do anything to it and it looks extremely real in person. I know it will get hot during the summers but by then we are inside. I also got the jasmine so we can use it for brewing beer and maybe tea. The Agave was picked as we wanted Aloe but would get to much sun. I would like to at some point replace some of the other plants for plants we can use for spice or some other fashion. We really like the purple plum tree we choose but wouldn’t want to add another tree. Our HOA also only allows certain plants out front so we were a little restricted there. We have big plans for the backyard which will include a large garden.

o

ah! HOA, you didn't mention that in the beginning, now I understand.

o

I would insist on two valves for your irrigation system. It is impossible to water trees correctly if you have all plants on the same valve. An entire valve assembly (valve, pressure reducer and filter) is about $30 and the flexible 1/2 inch poly pipe is very inexpensive.

If you plan to have a garden you might consider adding a third valve now - it beats retrofitting. That way you can tailor your water application for veggies and herbs.

Purple leaf plum trees often struggle here and are short lived - they're much happier in Prescott. What about a Desert Willow or if you want an evergreen tree consider a Mastic (Pistacia lentiscus).

I have a list of edible landscape plants that are adapted to our region that I'm happy to send you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Water Wise Landscaping

o

Great info and I will add 2 more valves thanks. Yes I would be very interested in the list you have. My email

This post was edited by TJB101084 on Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 11:45

o

Just so you know landing on artificial turf is not so nice (it has improved though) and it gets HOT in the summer. You also have to keep it clean (like sprayed off with a hose) or it quickly looks like dirty artificial grass.

I would design to capture every drop of rain that falls on your place and flow it towards and plant it around your shrubs and trees. Don't let any escape. The HOA should not have a problem with that, but they might have approved gutter designs.

o

Welcome to the forum, it's nice to see you post. Keep it coming. :)

Thanks for sharing the design, it can be hard to get feedback from people on our homes and gardens. I agree about the purple leaf plum: they really don't love it in the low desert and often (not always) struggle, and usually are pretty short lived. That being said, if you love that kind of tree, you can try it and replace it if it doesn't thrive for you. Texas ebony is a nice bright green, evergreen smallish-medium-ish tree if you end up needing a replacement.

Expect the agaves to flower and croak in a few years if they're already 5 gallon specimens. A. desmettiana likes to bloom young. You'll probably get pups/air babies which you can use as replacements. Hesperaloe (H. parviflora) could be an alternative and wouldn't croak after blooming (and it loves full sun), or a heat-loving, sun loving aloe like Aloe ferox? Just some ideas to think about.

Keep us posted on what you do, and post lots of pics. We want to seeeeee!

Happy gardening!
Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics from my little garden, August 2014

o

aztreelvr thank you so much for the information you emailed me. It was more than expected and very usefull. I was able to have them add the 2 more valves and it was only $60 more. Thanks for the advice. We are committed to the purple plum tree so we will do our best to keep it alive. If not we will find something diffrent.

grant_in_arizona thanks for the info. I did not know there were Aloe that liked the sun. I will have to look into that.

They leved the front yard and laid half the pavers last week so I am thinking this week they will finish all the hardscape. I will get some pictures of the progress up asap.

Thanks everyone!

o

Here are some pics of the pavers that went in. Also we had a visitor. Looks like a Javalina likes our house also

o

closer shot

o

and the side

o

pig tracks

o

foot prints

o

Fun new pics! I LOVE the new pavers, especially where they run alongside the driveway. So nice! You're going to have a beautiful garden.

I hope the javelina leave you alone. They make raids on my front garden now and then and they can cause real damage. I don't put anything too precious/rare in my front garden, hah. Besides some tall desert trees, it's mostly toxic Euphorbias (sorry javelinas, hah), bitter aloes (A. ferox, A. saponaria (A. maculata), lots of cacti (which they can raid) and some hesperaloe (which they occasionally grub out and eat the roots). Hope yours behave better, lol.

Keep us posted, happy gardening!
Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics from my garden August 2014

o

I have a purple leaf plum growing in my west side yard and it is just beautiful... it gets lots of water, its growing in the grassy lawn area that we have there for the dog. it looked pitiful for a couple years, I've kept it trimmed up, and it is finally thriving now. I've seen other pretty ones around town, also some pitiful ones that weren't getting enough water... Good luck with yours.
Debbie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here