Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
campv8baz

Fall vegtable plantings?

campv 8b AZ
11 years ago

What is on your list for this fall's vegtable planting?

Its that time. The melons are done as well as the zucchini. The pepers and eggplant got about 4 weeks left. I would like to plant something different other then the regular stand by.

I always plant lettuce and garlic. I get a dusting of snow sometimes and there have been times when the temperature got down to 16. The type of lettuce I plant does not mind the cold.

Therefore, anyone got some great suggestions and whats on your list?

Comments (14)

• tomatofreak
    11 years ago

Down here, it's too hot still to even think about planting. Putting anything out in this heat seems homicidal.

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    11 years ago

Yeah sure tf, but I'm still thinkin'.....I want to try 'cutting celery'. It will be something different - you don't have to grow an entire celery bunch. The idea is you snip the celery leaves, as if they were lettuce I think, and add to soups, stews and salads. I have the seeds, just waiting for better conditions.

Anyone else? Oh - maybe a new baby boc choy too.

• plstqd
    11 years ago

I just ordered seeds for purple pole beans (I don't know why I keep trying to grow beans -- they just don't seem to be my thing), baby bok choy, celery, lettuce and cucumbers. I'll also be planting tomatoes, cilantro, carrots, broccoli, swiss chard and maybe fava beans, although I had such a crappy harvest from them last year, I'll have to think very hard on that one.

• jeff_12422
    11 years ago

Bok choy, broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, carrots and swiss chard are all on the list, although I need to wait a few more weeks to start -- it's way too hot right now. And various lettuces -- romaine, arugula, prizehead and salad bowl.

• rtl850nomore
    11 years ago

Actually it is time to start planting for the fall vegetable season in Phoenix. The local farmers are planting now. I use a local planting guide as well but the farmers are proof that it is time for me.

• tomatofreak
    11 years ago

Looks like you're in for a soaking! Our chances of rain in Phx are much less and it will probably skip right on by many areas. Anyhoo, at nearly 3,200' elevation, you're on a different planting schedule so it's probably about time for you to get seeds in. What's your first projected frost date? Btw, I'm so envious of your area; every time I drive through, all I see are great gardens. ;o)

Here is a link that might be useful: Camp Verde rain forecast

• campv 8b AZ
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Frost can happen anytime starting the mid of OCT. So I watch the temp. will have to be ready to pull the tomatoes and hang them in the garage to finish. One year I got caught had a unexpected frost and they turned black.
    We use the "NWS radar image loop base of refectivity" for N. Arizona and it works quite well. We can see the storms coming from any direction from any part of the state,(hour by hour) along with any warnings. Saturday we got a bunch of rain so no watering for a few days. Pulled up the zucchini and the melon vines. Will plant lettus here in the next week, need to till the soil first. I plant red salad bowl, spanish and one other. I get my seeds from Seed Savers Exchange. They even have Heirlooms and a free catologe. WWW.seedsavers.org
    Thanks everyone for your input and happy planting

• 3DinAz
    11 years ago

You guys got me fired up, haha! Im getting in gear with finishing up my beds so I can plant in time for the season. This will be my first time planting in raised beds so hopefully I will see much better results than I had with my plants in the compacted ground soil.

• campv 8b AZ
    Original Author
    11 years ago

3DinAz - thats what I have, the soil here is very bad.
    I have two 8'x4'x3' beds. Even if I ever move I don't think I will ever go back to the ground. Everthing is so much easier. No more back problems and seeds start great. Just a note in January you might want to turn in steer manurae before planting for spring. You MUST LET IT SIT for at least ONE month before planting anything or it will burn everthing. Camp V

• 3DinAz
    11 years ago

Camp V, thank you for that tip! It just so happens that I have a good buddy who own a few horses. He told me that I can some by and grab as much manure as I want whenever I need it. Sounds like I might need to plan on going to get some so I can let it sit and compost. I worry about it stinking during the initial stages though. My wife and neigbors might not be too appreciative, haha.

On another note, I was wondering about crops that I might be able to plant in the beds that would survive the winter? Or it that more trouble than its worth?

11 years ago

Lettuce, cilantro, beets, carrot....you can get a good planting calendar for the Valley. 3D, I don't remember where you're located but am thinking outside the valley. Anyhow, fwiw, here's a link to a planting calendar for Phoenix.

Here is a link that might be useful: Urban Farm Planting Calendar

• 3DinAz
    11 years ago

marymcp,
    Thank you for the link!! I printed it out and stuck it in my journal. Alot of things are starting to make sense now since I came here for an education on Arizona gardening. Its a faaaarrr cry from doing this hobby in Ohio. We could just plant in the spring and watch the rain make thing happen while watching out for the critters who liked the crops also, haha!!

Im in Yuma by the way. Thanks again!

11 years ago

Yuma should be similar in elevation and heat/cold indexes. Good luck and keep in touch here.

I once lived in the Santa Cruz mountains in northern California. One could spit on the ground and Jack's Beanstalk would sprout the next day. Mary, you're not in California anymore.....

• campv 8b AZ
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mary I am from So. California as well and my soil there was the same. Rub my shoe in the ground throw down some seed and wala any thing would grow. That is not the case here in Camp Verde. It can be a real stuggle, but if you can get good at growing stuff in Arizona by gosh you can grow stuff anywhere.