Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New guy

Posted by 3DinAz Yuma (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 22, 12 at 16:16

Hello everyone,
This is my first post here as a member. I am a native of Ohio but I have been out west for the last 16yrs. I am somewhat familiar with gardening but in dire need of an education on how to do things the desert dweller's way. I grew up helping my grandmother in her garden in Ohio and we always had a great harvest...but every single trick that I have tried from back home, wont work in the desert...at least not for long term anyways. My soil starts out good but it quickly compacts and things just go down hill from there. Recently, I have begun to gather materials for a raised bed so I hope that will help out some.

I am sure that there must be some sort of "stickies" that I can browse through to save you all from regurgitating information all over again for yet another new member. If someone would please be so kind as point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
3D

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New guy

3D, there is a recent thread entitled "Bulk Soil", you might start there. Sounds like that discussion may be what you are looking for, at least for a start.

o

Thank you!

o

I think I would start here. Seems there is a garden club you can join and the demo garden sounds like a good place to learn a lot.

Here is a link that might be useful: Yuma demonstration garden

o

Thanks Tomatofreak! I actually had a chat with a member of this club a while back. Really nice person too. They are sort of hard to catch up to because they mainly meet on Tuesdays in the mornings all the local garden clubs meet around that same time it seems...Im guessing the groups must be mainly comprised of people in retired status. If I can ever get time off, I'd like to pick their brains. I'll bet there's some good knowledge there. Thanks for the link!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here