Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judy_b

Apricot trees

judy_b
18 years ago

Does anyone grow, or know of, a good dwarf apricot that will do well in Phoenix?

Comments (6)

• frangipaniaz
    18 years ago

oh...hmm... I grow full size apricot trees, but they aren't real big yet, so they are kind of dwarfed... I'll look for you though...
    Brittany

• Pagancat
    18 years ago

I think Susie might... I thought they were pretty small trees anyways ...? I would love to have one, as well.

• Desert_Heat
    18 years ago

You can keep a normal sized fruit tree pruned for easy pick like they do at that farm in Queen Creek. There may be some available that come on a dwarfing or semi-dwarfing rootstock though. I have a "FloridaPrince" (very low chill) peach that is on a semi dwarf rootstock.

• birdlady_in_mesa
    18 years ago

I have a Royal apricot. It is 3.5 years old and only about 5' tall. I do prune it back to keep a nice shape, but I think that it will grow up bigger than you may want. It had excellent fruit this year! I planted a Royal when we moved into this house 21 years ago, I did trim it, but it only grew to about 10' tall with a 15' spread. Nice size to keep some kind of protection on it from the birds and easy to pick the fruit. Don't know if this helps, just thought I would relate my experience.

The best peaches I ever grew were the Bonanza Dwarfs. Huge juicy peaches just loaded on the branches. Nice small rounded tree. Unfortunately, stone fruit trees don't have a long life expectancy, especially here in the valley, so after 16 years I yanked them out. Still miss 'em!

Susie

• judy_b
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Susie. I have a Bonanza peach, and you're right about its longevity. Mine is about 10 years old and is on its way out. It is rife with sooty canker and is declining. I don't know whether to just take it out now or let it die its unnatural death.

• phxfun_totacc_com
    12 years ago

I just checked my 6 month old apricot tree - it has white stuff like mold growing on the underneath side of some leaves - what is wrong and how do I fix it??

Sponsored