Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grant_in_arizona

Echinopsis surprise (flower pic)

grant_in_arizona
14 years ago

Hi everyone,

I had an Echinopsis surprise this week. I know, I know, it sounds like some type of dessert, heh heh, but it's actually been a nice little display on one of my un-named Echinopsis cactus plants. I thought you might enjoy seeing it too.

Side view with Agave parryi in the background (and some sandpaper verbena foliage sneaking in from the right):

{{gwi:415322}}

Top view with a tennis ball to show relative size:

{{gwi:415323}}

Close view of an individual bloom from the side:

{{gwi:415324}}

It's a no-name plant that I purchased as a "rescue" at a garage sale a few years ago and it's done really well since then. It gets unobstructed sun from sunrise until mid-afternoon when it gets shaded from a lemon tree. I water it once a week during the blast furnace months, and then maybe, just maybe, once a month the rest of the year.

I hope you'll take a look and enjoy. Let us hear (or see!) what's looking good, or awful, in your garden this month (I have plenty of both).

Take care,

Grant

Comments (12)

• mahlerlover
    14 years ago

That's beautiful. I wonder if it has some Trichocereus blood in its veins.

• grant_in_arizona
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the comment! I do enjoy hearing that folks are taking a look. :) I wonder if it has trichocereus in its ancestry too.

I have a few dozen of echinopsis plants, some labeled and some not. I really do like them. For plant form, good ol' 'Los Angeles' is hard to beat since I like 'em big, and I like 'em round, LOL.

Thanks again for the comment.
    Take care,
    Grant

• Pam Honeycutt
    14 years ago

Wow, I'm not too into the cactus like plants but that one is awesome. Love the flowers and the way it gets the spikes for them. Think I'm going to start me a little desert area in the front corner of my yard just for that sort of thing. Thanks for posting the pic.

Gemfire

• grant_in_arizona
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the comment, Gemfire. Most echinopsis are also happy in containers with morning sun, or dappled light, so that's an option too.

If you set up a desert area, or get an echinopsis, we'll want full reports. :)

Take care,
    Grant

• arizonny
    14 years ago

Grant, perhaps you can I.D. this one for me?

{{gwi:415325}}

• calb_gardner
    14 years ago

HOLY CRAP Arizonny that is beautiful I have never seen one with so many flowers on it at the same time!!!Havn't a clue on what it could be I'm not very good at identifying plants.
    I see it is close to a rose...how are you watering it ...do you fert the rose??
    CB
    PS how old is your tort and what it his/her name

• arizonny
    14 years ago

Lol. Believe it or not, that started as 1 (ONE!) piece. I got it from my SIL that lives in Kingman and has several. It has at least that many blooms a couple times per year and the fragrance is magnificent.

Poor planning on my part is how it ended up near roses. It's actually between two roses. It sits at the edge of my patio, on the North/East corner. The roses started out as miniatures that I bought at the grocery store half dead for .25 each. :( So you see, never in my wildest dreams, did I think that any of that mess would live to take over half of south Tempe!!

Now, as for "Max", I have had him for about 8 years. Not sure of his age. I had another that I somehow lost during hibernation. She just never showed back up. I had only had her for 2 years and the people who had her, allowed her to hibernate inside. I may have made a mistake by leaving her out.

They really are great 'back-yard' pets aren't they?

{{gwi:415326}}

• grant_in_arizona
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hiya Arizonny and all,

Amazingly beautiful plant! I love it and the pic. Take a look online or in your books for Echinopsis subdenudata and see if you think that's what you've got. There are so many species and hybrids it's hard to say for sure, but that's the one that comes to mind.

Whatever type it is, it's just magnificent and I'm utterly jealous. It looks just perfect. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Take care and sorry for the slow reply--I took a last minute road trip to Palm Springs this past weekend and just got back. Did some very nice retail therapy for the garden--I'll post a couple of pics tomorrow.

Thanks again for the eye candy. Good job on that one!
    Take care,
    Grant

• grant_in_arizona
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Echinopsis 'Los Angeles' decided to surprise me this week with a nice little show. It's always amazing to me how quickly the buds swell and grow. It seems like you just notice them forming, and then just a couple of days (okay, nights, LOL) they're open. The display is not nearly as magnificent as Arizonny's plant, but I hope you'll still take a look and enjoy. They are very nicely scented.

With a tennis ball to show size:

{{gwi:415327}}

With my big clump of Agave americana in the background (don't tell the agave weevils!):

{{gwi:415328}}

Anyone else have some blooming? Or just growing? We'd love to see/hear more.

Take care,
    Grant

• arizonny
    14 years ago

But still nothing here Grant.

• grant_in_arizona
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hmmm...okay, I'm trying your new and improved method of embedding zonny, lemme know if it works. I'll make sure I can see the pics in preview (though I did that for the others too). Hopefully they'll work.

Thanks for letting me know you couldn't see the pics. Hopefully they'll show up this time.

{{gwi:415327}}

{{gwi:415328}}

{{gwi:415329}}

Take care,
    Grant

• kathi_mdgd
    14 years ago

OMG what beauties.I've never come to this site before today,even though i've been with GW about 10 or more years,just never ventured over here.All i can say is wow,i'm gonna have to go back and see all i missed.TFS
    Kathi