Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help in finding a Turkish Laurus nobilis (Bay tree)

Posted by Kirch z9 Tucson AZ (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 14, 05 at 16:57

I would like to locate a source for the Turkish species of bay tree (Laurus nobilis). From what my cook husband and cooking web sites tell me, the Turkish variety has shorter, wider leaves and has a more subtle flavor than the regular California variety that I've grown all these years.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help in finding a Turkish Laurus nobilis (Bay tree)

Hmmm - I know I saw a couple different kinds of Bay at Baker's last week. If you take a look in our FAQ's the phone number should be listed.

Good luck!

o

Umbellularia californica, or California bay, is used as a substitute for Bay Leaves. The true Mediterranean plant is Laurus nobilis, as you noted above. CA bay is more pungent in taste. I bought my Bay plant at Baker Nursery. You will see small ones in the herb section, but look around, or ask the help. They have larger plants that are very reasonable. Laurus nobilis does very well in our climate.

o

• Posted by usha z8AZ,Nscottsdal (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 15, 05 at 14:38

I bought mine from summerwinds. Make sure you buy 5gal and not one gal if you want to use the leaves in cooking right a way. It is extremely slow growing.

o

I got mine from Moon Valley Nursery. Usha's right, it's slow growing. Mine is about 6' tall (in pot) but grew from only about 4.5' over 7 years ago. Quite a bit fuller now though. Perhaps having it in a large pot is also constraining its growth. I find that mine does not like direct sun all day or its leaves burn.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here