Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juttah_gw

Has anybody mixed AZ desert soil into their planters?

Juttah
12 years ago

We have several empty brick planters, 2-3 feet deep, 18 inches wide, and of various lengths. Full sun.

We also have plenty of native, clayey, Arizona desert dirt on our yard. (So does everybody else I guess!)

Can we mix some of this dirt with good garden soil for use in our planters? Or maybe use it as a base, add compost etc. and make our own planter soil.

Has anyone done this with acceptable long-term results? Or is it best avoided altogether?

Comments (6)

• thisisme
    12 years ago

You can mix a little if its mixed well. The company I purchased bulk soil from uses 1/3rd native soil. I tried to do it myself with some of the potting soil I had on hand.

Three things to take note of. Only mix soil when its dry or the texture will turn to mush and harden like a rock. If you use even a little bit to much native soil the mix will not hold much water and will be hard and inhospitable to your plants root system. When I did this I did not mix everything well enough. One plant/tree would have great soil and the plant/tree next to it with more dense soil would suffer and die without re-potting.

• littleluey
    12 years ago

not on purpose, but i see some sand in my planters and beds after the winds blew sand all around in the last few weeks. I try to get as much out of them as possible, i feel it keeps the water from draining.
    So i would not mix it in, mother nature will do it for you.

• lazy_gardens
    12 years ago

I have used it, mixed with compost about 30% compost the rest native dirt.

It works well, especially if heavily mulched.

• tracydr
    12 years ago

Thissime, where did you buy your bulk soil from? I need a load to mix with my composted manure for my last two 16x8 gardens.

• thisisme
    12 years ago

tracydr keep in mind the soil I purchased and as far as I know all soil purchased in bulk has not finished composting. You are supposed to keep it damp for two months before planting in it. I purchased a Sandy Loam Mix from Pioneer Landscaping Materials. Also delivery is expensive unless you are ordering a lot of it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pioneer Landscaping Materials

• tracydr
    12 years ago

Well, I think I'll just do what I did this spring than, and make sure I get a pretty good amount of dirt from the horse pens. The manure is really aged, the hard part is scooping, moving and scooping it into the gardens. I just got a cute little 1942 Bantam Trailer, which holds three or four huge wheelbarrow loads. My barn is fifteen miles from the house.
    When I filled my two gardens this spring, they didn't heat up at all. The only problem I've had is some settling, well, a lot of settling. Everything grew like it was on steroids, though, except for the beans. Probably too much nitrogen for the beans? I had no pest problems except for aphids on the beans.
    I did have a great hatch of praying mantis which was a lot of fun!
    I'm guessing I need at least ten loads, maybe more. The two active gardens will need refilling and the two empty gardens I'm starting from scratch. Well, almost scratch. I've been using the one as a lasagna garden and have gotten it surprisingly full in the last four months!
    I may try digging some holes in the yard for a little native clay, then refilling them with gravel, since I want to clear some gravel from a few areas to start growing grass. Will see how much energy I have after moving all this manure!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?