Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What Pest Is Causing These Holes?

Posted by sqftdesert none (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 18:26

Any ideas of what is creating the holes in these leaves? The leaves in the picture are Amaranth, Basil & Callaloo. However, the holes are also in my sweet potato, gynura, malabar, pepper & kale leaves.

I cannot find any insects on the leaves. Because of the rate of holes appearing, I am suspecting maybe beetles of some type or perhaps a leaf miner, even though I can't find either.

I've sprayed Neem Oil / Sal Suds / Garlic Oil BT / Spinosad but the holes continue.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What Pest Is Causing These Holes?

My leaf damage is from catepillars. I look at about dawn 5:30 am and find the culprits.

o

Really, I would have guessed small beetles as well. Either way, I expect the advice given of checking at dawn will ID the culprit(s). Let us know what you find. Picture(s) would be nice.

As for solution, is the damage so bad as to warrant doing anything?

o

I've been looking at 5am & evening. Either its happening in the middle of the night or during the day when I'm not home.

The damage is extensive but random as to plant type and location in the garden (it's 100ft long) and since the pests aren't present on the leaves, that's why I considered beetles as my primary suspect. They can come & go irregardless of time of day.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here