Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Problem with Chilean Mesquite

Posted by millerchang AZ (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 30, 08 at 19:03

We had a Chilean Mesquite put in this February (24" box) that has been having some problems. First, it leafed out in March, but it never seemed to fill in very well. Second, it has been sapping quite a bit. The sap is clear and hardens up. It has no odor so I don't think it is an infection. Finally, some of the leaves have been turning brown in some parts lately. The tree is on the drip with other plants in the backyard and I have moved the drips further away from the trunk. The tree is watered once a week and gets about 6 gallons of water. After reading some of the forums, I'm concerned that it may not be getting water. I plan on changing the drips to a soaker hose and watering it less frequently but giving it more water at each watering. However, I don't want to give it too much. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Problem with Chilean Mesquite

Google 'chandler,az' they have a watering schedule that out lines everything.

o
RE: Problem with Chilean Mesquite

Be sure to check and see how deeply your tree was planted. The soil from the container should be level with the surrounding soil. Planting too deeply restricts the oxygen to the trunk tissue basically suffocating the tree. Gently remove soil near the trunk until you can see the trunk flare or region where trunk tissue becomes root tissue. You may even see the tops of the roots. If this is the case remove about a 12 inch area of soil around the trunk just deep enough so the roots are barely covered with soil.

As far as watering your mesquite, as long as you are watering deeply (to a depth of three feet) you shouldn't need to water any more often than once every 10 days or so in the summer. Extend the interval as the weather cools and by winter water once every three or four weeks. Assuming your tree has a canopy diameter of six feet, apply about 20 gallons each time.

Here is the link to watering guidelines on the City of Chandler web site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Landscape Watering Guidelines

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here