Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to AZ Gardening

Posted by amccabe Phoenix,AZ (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 15, 12 at 19:04

Hi all,

I just finished getting my garden all setup and put in for the winter and now it is time to decide what to plant. I am looking for some advice. Currently on my list for the winter is:

A couple varieties of garlic
Some different heirloom tomatoes
Eggplant
Arugula
Broccoli
Broccoli Raab
Broccoli Romanesco
Some Mecslun Seed Mix
Sweet California wonder peppers
Hot Peppers (haven't decided the variety yet)
Some various herbs

My biggest question revolves around seedings and indoor sewing of the seeds. I plan on direct sewing everything I can once the temperatures get into the 70s at night. Does anyone do "indoor sewing" outside here? I have a nice patch that gets only morning sun that may be perfect. Also, am I too late to the game to start seedlings for this winter? Am I better off just buying the seedlings? What is a good place around the valley to get good quality seedings (I would like to try some heirloom veggies too)? I know this is a lot of questions but it seems like you guys know what you are doing :) .

Attached is a picture of my garden (to be). Just have a couple basil/tomato transplants from my previous bed that may survive with last nights downpour. I went from 4`x4` to 5`x15`.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to AZ Gardening

Your garden setup looks very nice :) You might want to rethink your intention to plant eggplant at this time of year. It's a warm weather crop, and the best planting time for it is in the spring. If you haven't already, you should check out the Urban Farm Planting Calendar for a good guide on what to plant when.

o

Yea I saw that calendar. I was looking at the endive line not the eggplant apparently. Do you generally start from seeds outdoors with your winter crop or is it a better idea to do seedlings?

o

Yea I saw that calendar. I was looking at the endive line not the eggplant apparently. Do you generally start from seeds outdoors with your winter crop or is it a better idea to do seedlings?

o

Tomatoes and peppers in same category as eggplant -- best grown during the summer. Everything else on the list will be great winter crops, however they will not germinate until soil temps are much much lower than now. Nights in the 70's is still too hot for most of those, days in the 70's is more what they like. Not sure when that happens in Phoenix... it was 116 a few days ago when I was passing through!

Alternatively you could start everything inside a month or two before you anticipate the right weather conditions, then plant them out to get a jump on things.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here