Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new to white mountains

Posted by letsharmonize 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 17, 12 at 19:09

hello fellow gardeners. i'm a very recent transplant from east central louisiana, and would appreciate guidance on what flowering plants can be planted now, for fall/winter blooms? i know i have many gardening adjustments to make (no duh?)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new to white mountains

Most likely you will have your first frost within 8 weeks, possibly much earlier, so you don't have too much time to grow and enjoy flowers, other than bedding plants or perennials for next year.

Maybe it's wise to just enjoy all the wildflowers out there right now and become familiar with what does well and to what you like best. Check out the many good books on native plants for the region... If you're interested in growing food, I highly recommend a book called something like "Growing Food in the SW Mountains". It's just a little thing, but packed with information specific to the Flagstaff area.

o

The only thing blooming in the White mountains in the winter is snow.

Depending on exactly where you are in the White mountains, you are in Zones 1, 2A or 2B ... it makes a difference.

What town?

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunset climate zones for the West

o

thank you both for your responses. i am in show low, which technically may not be in the white mountains. NGA says this is zone 5B. i bought a few lantana to enjoy for the next few weeks. will they come back if i mulch them?

o

letsharmonize: the 5B designation is probably correct... the 1, 2A, 2B business lazygardens mentions is the Sunset zone system, which is a more useful zone system for warmer areas of the West, especially California. By this system you're probably a 2B (I'm looking at the map now), which puts you in the same zone as Flagstaff, Gallup NM, and Denver.

I don't think there's any hope for lantana surviving your winter even with mulch.

By the way, the Sunset Western Garden Book is THE gardening resource to have if you don't already. You can find it at any Home Depot, nursery, or good bookstore.

o

thank you for the information. i've found the book you mentioned, and it is exactly what i need. by the way, is there another forum on gardenweb that would be more suited to info for zone 2B?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here