Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pagancat

Have you ever planted....

Pagancat
11 years ago

.... a Dyckia, here? I'm fascinated by the terrestial bromeliads and am hopeful that they'll do okay here. The only time I've ever seen them planted in the ground was a display at the Huntington Gardens in L.A.

Any experiences, good bad or indifferent, are so welcome!

TIA

Comments (7)

• grant_in_arizona
    11 years ago

Hiya Pagan and all,

Yup, I started planting Dyckia in my gardens in 2000 and have had them, or their offspring, ever since. They've done GREAT here in afternoon shade or dappled light all day. Most of mine have been D. fosteriana but I've had too luck with several hybrids too, including a few seedlings from my own seed. They're very fun, very low maintenance, and they don't die after flowering!

Here's a pic of one of mine last autumn. I've since removed two offsets from it and planted them in full, hot, sun and they've done great with weekly watering in summer (they'll get monthly watering in winter, like their parent plant does).

{{gwi:415678}}

Keep us posted on how yours do for you. I'm sure they will thrive!

Happy gardening all!
    Grant

• tomatofreak
    11 years ago

I had to know what plant you're talking about - and I found this site. Incredible! I've never seen so many fierce-looking plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spines, spines and more spines!

• Pagancat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

LOL, I *knew* you had to have them, Grant! The info I keep getting on them is that they love soil with organic matter, did you amend heavily? Thanks for the watering info, that's really helpful.

Tommy, there are so many gorgeous ones if you like subtle coloring as well as colorful blooms.

So.... I admit I went crazy on a plant that I've never grown before, but I've been SO GOOD up until now (= )).... I got:

Dyckia brevifolia 'Moonglow'
    Dyckia x 'Burgundy Ice
    Dyckia x 'Cherry Cola
    Dyckia fragrans
    Dyckia marinar-laposte
    Dyckia parviflora - remotiflora
    Dyckia ... something, lol.

• grant_in_arizona
    11 years ago

Wow, Pagan, *poof*!, you've got a nice collection already! I love it. I'm sure they'll all thrive for you.

You know, I don't mix a lot of organic material, just a bit of potting soil really, and even then only around 25% mixed in with native soil. I figure the Dyckias I'm growing are pretty xeric, so I don't give them much organic material in their soil. Let us know what you do with yours and how it works out.

Here's an updated pic of my larger plant. The pups from it have done really well. Clearly I've planted it and the light green Aloe myriostigma too close together. Each was quite small when I planted them and now they're getting in eachother's way a bit. I thought they'd make a neat contrast but now I'm not so sure. Either way, one of them will be relocated when it cools down a bit more (or at all!).

{{gwi:415680}}

Happy gardening all!
    Grant

• Pagancat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mmm - lovely, Grant.

Okay, I won't kill myself on the soil - it's just I have such an abundance of green matter, I jump at the chance to plant something that would actually *like* it, lol.

Thinking they're all going in an eastern exposure today. Wish me luck, like I said, I kinda went crazy with these.

(Now donning nearly elbow-high welders gloves with hopes of saving *some* pain!)

Pics later!

• grant_in_arizona
    11 years ago

Neat, Pagan, neat! We're looking forward to lots of pics and updates on yours. You have a great variety of types already. Neat. Great idea with the welder's gloves, these dyckias are some of the most ferocious plants in my garden. Be careful, have fun, and keep us posted!

• Pagancat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I do have one or two that aren't armed - one has soft teeth and is more grassy. The gal I got them from actually sent me three of them, yay!