Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flies on my plants

Posted by campv 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 3, 12 at 19:19

Does anyone else have a problem with very small flies.
They are smaller than a house fly and seem to like the leaves of the flowers, squash, egg plant etc. They have green wings. No reason for them to be around no animals around(horses)etc. Is it because of the rain? They seem maybe to be eating something but have not figured out what.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flies on my plants

Hmmm.... do they look like this?

http://fineartamerica.com/featured/green-bottle-fly-juergen-roth.html

o

I ck. the site and thats not what these are.
The flies are very very tiny. The site stated that the green bottle fly is larger than a house fly. Nothing dead and no garbage around and this is the first time I have had them. They like the green broad leaves of just about everything. I have not had them in the house yet. I had to put some "seven" on one of my plants and it didn't seem to bother them at all. Thanks for you help maybe someone else knows why they are hanging around and what they are up too.

o

I have the tiny flies, too. Never saw them before this year. THey look like a regular housefly, but about half the size.
I also have some flying things, about house fly size, but their bodies are longer. I'd take a picture, but the danged things won't hold still long enough. I notice them a lot around my big pot with sweet potato vines. They swarm out when I water it. Never saw these before, either.
Speaking of never seen before: anyone know what those tan birds are, which high pitched cheeps, and like to dig around in the much for bugs? Never saw these before this year.
It's an invasion, I tell you.

o

Campv, I can tell you - the more I have water on the ground, the more I seem to have flies. But mine are your garden-variety-comes-with-horses type.

That being said, I wouldn't put anything out for them unless they're actually doing damage, and even then I would hesitate. The up side to the flying bugs is they are often pollinators for your plants, and it's always possible that they are controlling some other bug that you haven't noticed. Even the tomato hornworms have an upside - they produce the incredible hummingbird moths.

Blah blah blah, just something to think about! I understand not liking them - in the house I've started to use a vacuum cleaner to get rid of them, they make me so crazy....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here