Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mulberry tree

Posted by drmeow3 AZ (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 22, 05 at 19:38

Hi all,

I have a mature Mulberry Tree (I think VERY mature) in my front yard. I want to convert the part of the yard it is in to xeriscape and the Mulberry doesn't fit (I want to replace it with an Ironwood). However, I hate to just tear it out and kill it - it seems such a waste. Is it possible to salvage this tree and transplant it somewhere else? Would the cost even be worth it?

Thanks,
Maureen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mulberry tree

Highly doubtful if it's over 5' tall or so. I wouldn't worry too much about it - they grow like weeds around here (quite literally, I treat the myriads I find in my yard to Round-up about every other week) and the males produce pollen that some people are quite allergic to. The females feed birds (which isn't a bad thing) that then go and spread purple poo everywhere they go.

Ironwoods, on the other hand, are really nice trees. Shall I tell you how I really feel?

>grin<

HTH!

o

I'm getting ready to have a huge Mulberry tree pulled out of my yard. Just got a quote on Friday. It will be $400. That inlcudeds cutting it down and grinding down the stump. I've hated this tree since the day I bought the house. Why I didn't pull it out then I will never know. It would have been much cheaper, and it was much smaller. It just puts to much shade on my roses.

Easy

o

• Posted by bolt z8 Phx (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 22, 05 at 20:43

Speaking of mulberry trees, I notice some have a closed leaf and some have an open leaf (looks like a hand), does this indicate male/female or are they just defferent varieties? I see bottle trees have a wide variety of leaf shapes, are mullberries the same? I have a weed mullberry and am curious as to whether it's male or female, guess I'll have to wait until it matures...more. I might even *BUY* a good self polinating variety. (shhhh, don't tell anyone!)
My goats and tortoises LOVE the leaves!

Kevin

o

Transplant mulberry trees in February when they are dormant.

o

Kev, the leaf shape is totally variable when they're young, it's close to impossible to tell. I have noticed that the male's seem to have a fuzzy-ish leaf whereas the females are glossy and dark - but that might come around later on, too.

Anytime you want to bring your goat on over for a nice lunch, you let me know. Until then, it's Roundup for those puppies!

o

Where can I find/buy a mulberry tree?

o

AZRFG's will be selling them March 22, 2014: Oscar's (yum!) and Pakistan varieties...maybe others. Female, self fruiting.

The AZRFG Spring Plant Sale
Saturday, March 22nd 2014, 8am - 1pm
Maricopa County Cooperative Extension
4341 E. Broadway Road, Phoenix, Arizona.
http://azrfg.org/

Baker's has the Black Beauty Fruiting mulberry for sale now. Very small tree. Don't know much else about it.
http://www.bakernurseryaz.com/fruit/pages/Black-Beauty-Fruiting-Mulberry(RGB).pdf

o

Get a chain saw and saw it down. Saw up the remaining branches let dry and use in an out door fire place works great. Shovel out the dirt @ the base of the tree and cut it again off lower than the soil, put stump kill on it. May need to re-apply. When good and dead just cover with dirt.

o

We had a huge male mulberry at our last house, big enough that both of our boys built treehouses in it at various times. We could sit by the kitchen window and see the puffs of pollen as they exploded and drifted off into the sunset.

We had a mulberry fruit tree in Michigan, along with purple bird poop on everything.

Don't buy it.

o

I've got a "Silk Hope" Mulberry on the way. I hope it can deal with the high desert.

o

I bet Silk Hope will do fine here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here