Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vi_gadagkar

Asking for help

vi_gadagkar
10 years ago

Hi, I am looking for some valuable advice and suggestions please!
I live in Phx and am eager to grow some veges and flowers in the fall. So I thought of starting germination inside thinking they would take at least two weeks to get ready for transplanting. Little I knew, that they would gernpminate so fast and growing like crazy, the picture here is 5 4 days old. They are green beans, cucumbers, peas( smallest in size), marigold and cosmos. Now, will I be able to transplant and hope for their survival during these hot weeks of aug. or should I forget and wait till it cools down?
They will be in the containers since don't have the space in the ground.
New to AZ weather, have some experience in gardening in Ohio.
I really appreciate any help!
Thank you.
Vidya

Comments (7)

• vi_gadagkar
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't know why the pictures didn't show up in the message. I am sending them again.

• vi_gadagkar
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another picture.

• Laura81
    10 years ago

It is hard to garden in AZ isn't it? I recently moved here from the Midwest and am asking these great people questions all the time.I have no good advice when it come to veggies here. The sun, in AZ, is very unkind to tender plants.

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    10 years ago

Vi, I would pot UP, as in a somewhat larger, [mostly it should be deeper] container, the sprouts that are gangly. Then they all need to be close to a light source.

I start my tomatoes and chili peppers indoors around this time and again around Jan 1 but I have several 'shop' lights, long fluorescent tube lights, and as soon as those babies pop the soil, they go under the lights. The lights are nearly touching the sprout.

You don't want the next size container to be too big because the roots like to be confined a bit as they mature. But somehow you've got to get those long tall stems into the soil.

Good luck - this is just about the worst time to try to get comfortable growing veggies in Phoenix.

• vi_gadagkar
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Mary! I will transfer them right away! So should I keep continue to keep them indoors till we have tolerable heat out?
    Also wanting to start peppers too in the same way. Want to try my luck!
    It is very hard to stay away from trying my luck with the expts.
    Yes Laura, I agree, gardening is not straight forward thinking in Az! Though I prefer to be under Az Sun myself than the hard, icy winter but gardening is quite a challenge!
    I am glad I found this wonderful garden community on the Internet, will keep coming back to them with my doubts and questions! I am amazed at their knowledge at gardening.
    Thank you again,
    Vidya

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    10 years ago

You could begin hardening them off, but definitely not in the sun. Move them out early morning for just an hour or two. If you cannot watch them don't do it at all yet. If they begin to wilt - wait, WHEN they begin to wilt, bring them back in but not to a cold a/c room. It's tricky for sure. Mostly they need light right now. If you can rig up a light source you can keep them inside for quite a while yet.

• vi_gadagkar
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much! Yes, I did transplant most of them today. Looking for more containers and I will complete the job by this evening.
    Unfortunately, I can't stay with my plants whole day, I have to leave house by 8am and will return around 4:45pm five days a week. So I can't monitor them during the day.
    But I get good enough of sun inside, I am making use of it right now. I will post the pictures once all of them are transplanted.
    I really appreciate your input. Thank you again,
    Vidya

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert