Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kat_wttl

Satsuma plum, where to buy?

Kathleen W
18 years ago

Went up to Prescott for a day trip today. Awesome climate change :) even had a little rain squall on the way home... fun hiking and seeing all the roadside sunflowers. The desert on the way up was actually pretty green for this time of year so they must be getting plenty of rain up there too. Young's Farm in Dewey was wonderful as usual and the corn is in right now which in itself is a good reason to drive up there.

So... we met a man at his home who shared his Satsuma plums with us - OUTRAGEOUSLY delicious! And the trees are small and manageable, more like bushes.

So... where is best place to buy 2 of them (req'd for pollination)? When is the best month to put them in? October or November? What I've found so far says it will take 3 years from planting to fruit. Are these best planted bareroot or from a potted plant?

Anyone here have these?

Comments (16)

• Pagancat
    18 years ago

Sorry Kathleen, looks like you're going to have to find an on-line source for them.

Of course, as soon as I post this, a downpour of advice will probably ensue...

>grin

• azbolt
    18 years ago

Well I looked online and didn't find a whole lot. One place that sells them was sold out. Geez, now *I* want one!

Kevin

• birdlady_in_mesa
    18 years ago

Me too Greg! Lordy this is one enabling website. Absolutely don't have a place for another tree of any size, but a small plum..... maybe! :)

Susie

• Kathleen W
    Original Author
    18 years ago

"Lordy this is one enabling website."

hee,hee LOL

Susie, it's true, this group is dangerous! This plum is just 6-8' tall and the one I saw was 12 years old. Perfect for a hedge or along a fenceline, could even be espaliered. Did I mention this is a SWEET plum? Juicy and more sweet than any I've ever tasted. I'm surprised no one here is growing this one. I'll be sure to let you guys know when I find them :)

• Pagancat
    18 years ago

Greg who? Susie, have you been taking your vitamins?

• RODICA
    18 years ago

I browsed the Internet and I found a site that sells bareroot trees including Satsuma trees. 2005 season is over but they will start again in January 2006.
    The site is "midcitynursery.com" in California.
    I already E-mailed them requesting additional information.
    Good luck.

Regina

• Easygoing
    18 years ago

Kathleen,

One other thing you don't want to forget. This tree needs a cross pollinator, and I noted in my search that there are recommendations for cross pollinators, to ensure abundant fruit.

Easy

• Kathleen W
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Regina. I am going to keep looking and hope I can find them before January but at least I have one good source now :)

Easy, I had also noted that 2 trees are required for pollination. Are you saying this plum needs a different variety/type of tree for the 2nd tree? Or will 2 satsuma trees be sufficient and allow proper/optimal pollination?

• Easygoing
    18 years ago

The sites I read said to cross pollinate with Shiro, Santa Rosa or Wickson for heavy crops. One site said there is an improved plum, even better than Satsuma:

MARIPOSA (Improved Satsuma)
    Large, sweet, juicy red-fleshed plum with a small pit, nearly freestone. Skin mottled maroon over green. Good fresh or cooked. Low chill. Wickson or Santa Rosa are good for pollinizing.

easy

• Easygoing
    18 years ago

BTW, I found the following site selling this tree. It's the cheapest price I've seen so far:

easy

Here is a link that might be useful: Fruit-Tree Nursery

• Easygoing
    18 years ago

Hi Kathleen, I just found another great link on the site above. It shows you which tree's it recommends for cross-pollinating. It looks like they are not recommending two Satsuma for cross pollination. The link is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: What to cross pollinate with...

• Easygoing
    18 years ago

Oh heck, I was wrong. I'm sorry, was going cross-eyed with those lines. You can cross Satsuma with Satsuma. TGIF! ;)

easy

• Kathleen W
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Easy,

Well, you are quite the detective :) And you were right the first time, 2 satsumas won't work. That chart is hard to follow though, hehe.

Thanks so much for the great research. I'm off to do more reading now.....

• Easygoing
    18 years ago

Oh! You are right. It's the green squares that you can't cross pollinate on. Geeze! Well glad I could be of totally confusing help anyways ;)

Easy

• wannadanc
    16 years ago

So - what DID happen .... did you get the Satsumas and did you find an adequate cross pollinator? I have two wonderful 3 year old shiros and I am looking for a good boyfriend - just picked up a Satsuma - hope they like each other.

• magicgarden_az
    16 years ago

I wish I had seen this post when it first came out. I have a Satsuma plum and let me tell you that it stuggles with the heat. You must plant it facing east and have afternoon shade for it in the summer. It is prone to fungus too - and you better spare no expense on fungus medication or you will surely loose it. It needs amonium sulfate regularly. It will break your heart to see it suffer.

Also, you can not use another Satsuma plum to cross-pollinate. The best choice is a pluott - Mesquite valley growers crossed a plum and an apricot. It is far more resistant to the heat and fungus than any plum tree.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor