Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thisisme_gw

Help with Bamboo

thisisme
11 years ago

I would like to grow my own bamboo to make trellises with for my vegetable garden.

I need bamboo that will grow well in full sun. I'm willing to create a bed for it to keep it from spreading. However I don't know what needs to be be done to keep it healthy and keep it from spreading.

Any help as to what variety to grow and how to plant and grow it and where to get it would be most helpful.

Comments (7)

• phxplantaddict
    11 years ago

Green timber.

• thisisme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

phxplantaddict I'm looking for something tall strong and still flexible enough to bend into arches and gentle curves. I was almost set on Punting Pole. When I looked up Green Timber bamboo there were tons of links to building materials made out of it. I could not find anything about its size. Can you fill me in?

• phxplantaddict
    11 years ago

Im not understanding the question

• thisisme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

phxplantaddict I'm looking for a bamboo that I can grow for building materials for my garden. Punting Pole is a variety of bamboo. The bamboo I hope to grow will grow 25' tall or taller and be under 2.5" in diameter with thick cell walls. It should be able to bend/flex at the time its chopped so I can make arches and curves. The main uses will be for building trellises and shade structures.

I have not seen any descriptions of how Green Timber bamboo grows or is used. I think Punting Pole may work. Can you tell me more about Green Timber?

• phxplantaddict
    11 years ago

I grow it but do not use it for anything so I would not be able to help with applications. Mine are 20-30 ft at 3 year old stage. Full sun. If interested Im getting an order of bamboo from Tropical Bamboo in FL in about 7 weeks if you see a type they have that you want I can include yours in my order. They are the experts in the US on bamboo and grow 160 types. Good descriptions on their website.

• Kathleen W
    11 years ago

Thisisme, there are clumping varieties that do not need to be contained like the type that puts out runners. And the runner type would not be a problem IF you made a bed in an area that was not irrigated and only irrigated that bed. In other words, it would not spread beyond the bed because there wouldn't be sufficient moisture outside the bed area. This might apply to you if you are "out in the desert" like me and have the space on typical desert land to put a bed. They really do need a lot of water and can't be dried out or they won't thrive.

We actually have a small bamboo in a 24" tree box. It's been in there for at least 6 years and I have harvested some of the naturally dying canes for use in the garden. But is is very slender, not over 1/2", rather golden colored and the leaves are smallish. I think it might be Golden Bamboo but I have not been able to positively ID it. We got it as a start from an acquaintance who no longer lives in the area.

We had 2 big boxes full but hubby moved one box this spring and then he failed to water properly, then transplanted in ground and then failed further to water, killing that box. I could have screamed when I went out one day and found he'd cut back all the canes (something like a thick 20" diameter clump) to about 12" tall and threw them away! All those potential garden stakes! He was trying to rejuvenate it but it was too far gone. Although these were not very tall (just about 6-7') they still make lovely slim garden poles, lots of work stripping them down though. In fact, you will likely need a special tool to strip down the big timber type.

Good luck and let us know what you end up deciding upon.

• Kathleen W
    11 years ago

Have you seen this site? They have a lot of information on many varieties and offer phone consultation. Perhaps they could help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beautiful Bamboo Blog

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting