Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calb_gardner

whats eating my Agaves

calb_gardner
14 years ago

I have several agave murphi one is infected by a grub or something.[I have over a dozen different agave] when I pulled up the dead pups from around it there were holes bored right through.

from what I have read I think it is the agave snout nosed weevil and so far the solution is a diluted Diazinon

it may be to late for one of them but I will try to treat and save the rest.

++++Has any one had any luck with treating these little pests???

Comments (10)

• grant_in_arizona
    14 years ago

Ugh! It does sound like agave weevils. They can be a real nuisance now and then. Their favorite plant is a ready-to-bloom Agave americana but they'll also attack any agave getting ready to bloom, and even non-ready-to-bloom agaves that are soft and tasty (A. attenuata come to mind, lol).

I've had them infest a variegated A. americana at my last garden. It was easy to see what was happening as one day the plant looked a little shrivelled and the next it was what I call a witch's hat: a the cone of new foliage standing upright but all of the mature leaves flat against the ground, LOL. The leafy top came off of the roots with a gentle tug and yup, there they were: agave weevil grubs, happily chewing away and a nasty brown mess (which did smell nice by the way, heh heh, as by then it's filled with fermented sugar).

I just dug the whole plant out and discarded it after killing all the grubs I could find (birds love them but I smashed them all). I also discarded the pups of that plant since some folks think that vulnerability (especially when plants are not at blooming size) is inherited by clones/pups.

If you have infested plants you want to save, I've read that diazanon is a good treatment and preventative, and I've read that good ol' Imidacloprid (the systemic insecticide in the Bayer Systemic Insecticides) will do the trick too.

Usually people don't notice until it's too late to save the main plant, but you might try an insecticide if you have pups or a plant you want to save. I tend to just discard the whole mess and replace with a large growing aloe or something.

I've had them attack an agave and kill it while ignoring one ten feet away, so it seems sort of random. I have twenty or so different types of agaves in my garden and other than the one attack a few years ago, that's all I've seen on AGAVES, though my beautiful, lovely Macha Mocha mangave (Agave x Manfreda) got a Case Of The Grubs this spring and was dead by the time I noticed it. Grrr, LOL.

As mentioned, they do prefer the americana plus any of the soft-leaf types, so a lot of people will only plant hard-leaf non-americana types, like A. parryi, or A. stricta, or A. victoria-reginae etc, though nothing is probably totally safe. I have a lot of soft-leaf agaves (attenuata, vilmoriana, and others) that are probably very, very appealing to momma beetle.

I know, I know, it's kind of disturbing isn't it??

Hopefully others will chime in with treatments or prevention, plus stories too. Good or bad, it's fun to hear what's going on (or what has) in everyone's garden.

Let us know what you do and how it works out! Good luck,
    Grant

• calb_gardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanx Grant . I can always count on you to answer my posts.
    Tom and I are planing on pulling it out this weekend .It is to bad cause it is huge and yes proably ready to bloom in a year or so.,,,sigh,,,oh the other hand that leaves me with a gaping hole to fill..mmmmm....what will I plant there. I will have to take pics of the area and ask for suggestions.

CB

• azbolt
    14 years ago

I've had a very similar experience as Grant. I use Bayer Rose systemic found at Home Depot and it seems to work fine. I used to use Diazanon, but for me, it's getting harder and harder to find. Once I see that ONE agave is in need of treatment, I treat them ALL with it and water it in well. Then treat again in 3 months or so.

Kevin

• grant_in_arizona
    14 years ago

Hiya CB, Kevin and all,

Sorry for your loss, CB, that's too bad. I like Mary Irish's attitude about the whole thing: a ready-to-bloom agave would be dead in a year anyway, so the weevils really don't remove it from the landscape much earlier than it would have done itself anyway.

Of course, younger agaves are a different matter, LOL. Kevin, I like your approach about treating all of them if/when you see one with trouble--that's a good approach.

I was out working in the garden today and stopped to admire the agaves and shuddered at the thought of my massive americana, or my little variegated octopus agaves getting zapped, or any of the others for that matter.

Let us know what you put in the agave's spot. We'd love to see/hear allllll about it.

Take care,
    Grant

• chudak
    12 years ago

Found this post and wanted to follow up grant's post with a pointer to mine:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cacti/msg0813480421378.html

I wish I'd seen this post earlier. Perhaps there was still time to save my plant although probably not. The advice I got that my agave was fine but perhaps a little overwatered was definitely not correct. The leaves laying flat was a sure sign of the plant collapsing due to the infestation of the weevils.

• grant_in_arizona
    12 years ago

Hi chudak and everyone,

Thanks for the link. Yup, your one agave definitely has/had agave weevils. Infested plants develop what I call a "witch's hat" where the central cone of unfurled leaves stays mostly upright, but the outer leaves flatten out to the ground. Ugh. I see in your post you confirmed the presence of the weevils. Ugh, they're just nasty, LOL.

I have some A. americana that they've left alone, and others that they've killed quickly. I think the best thing to do is to try to grow non-americana types that are hard leaved (like A. weberi and A. parryi, but even they can get infested) and hope for the best.

I do have a huge clump of very large blue A. americana and frankly I wouldn't mind if some agaves came in and took it out, LOL, but I know how annoying they can be. I still have a dozen different types of agaves in my landscape, but I always plant them with the expectation that they could be wiped out at any time, so I don't use them as the absolute foundation of a planting.

Sorry about your plant. Good luck and thanks again for the link!

Take care,
    Grant

• cw1019
    8 years ago

I have a whole different problem...something is munching on the variegated American agave in our backyard. The plant is about 3 years old and not flowering BUT the lower 'leaves' have been devoured by something, e.g., they are not there anymore but teeth marks are! These spikes are easily 15" long and 3-4" wide possibly 1/4" thick. There are gophers (we call 'em gonzos) in the wash behind the house. Our property has walls and a view fence with chicken wire 24" up so we don't think it could be anything larger (never seen a rabbit in the yard either). Our dogs do go crazy around the plant so something was there. Any ideas and better yet what to do?

• ChasingCenturies (Arizona 9b)
    8 years ago

Don't know where you are, so just a wild guess that it's either rabbits or wood rats, more likely rabbits.

• cw1019
    8 years ago

Thank you. We are in Anthem, AZ outside of Phx. I doubt rabbits as we have dogs and have blocked entrances - never seen a rabbit it 2+ years

• ChasingCenturies (Arizona 9b)
    8 years ago

Wood rats can inflict similar damage, just not as much of it. If you can keep the pups out of harms way, try setting a rat trap near the plant. Peanut butter + raisins makes a very effective bait combination.