Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chicago90

Sudan Grass as a cover crop

chicago90
18 years ago

Has anyone ever planted sudan grass as a cover crop as a means of adding nitrogen to the soil while having something green in the process?

Lucy Bradley recommended it as one choice for cover crops. Any other suggestions? Clover?

Comments (13)

• Pagancat
    18 years ago

Did she tell you anything else about it? I've never heard of it before.

• roo2000
    18 years ago

Alfalfa.

• Pagancat
    18 years ago

Doh!

• paalexan
    18 years ago

Sudan grass is Sorghum bicolor. I haven't heard of any grass having any ability to add nitrogen to a soil, but maybe I've missed something. This species is also listed as a noxious weed in six states, including Nevada. This would make me very reluctant to plant it, myself...

The obvious thing to try, to me, would be one of the winter-annual native legumes. Though I don't know which might be good candidates around Phoenix, in the Las Cruces area I've got a friend who's probably going to try Astragalus hallii as a cover crop this winter. I've linked a web page with some pictures of it; this species doesn't need much water to do well and produces nice flowers come spring, so it at least sure seems like a good idea. We'll see.

Patrick Alexander

Here is a link that might be useful: polyploid.net: Astragalus hallii var. fallax

• Pagancat
    18 years ago

Mmmm - that's pretty.

There's a few plants that Seeds of Change puts out as cover crops/ nitrogen fixers - I like them because they are out of Albuquerque and do only organics, with an emphasis on heirloom and traditional varieties. When they say low water and full sun, I can believe them.

Are you thinking about putting this over your lawn?

Here is a link that might be useful: Cover crops

• roo2000
    18 years ago

Anyone else see that weird little link in Larry's original post? On the word grass... Was that put there by ivillage??

Sorry to hijack, Larry.

• tomatofreak
    18 years ago

Yes, I did see that, Roo, and they're popping up in lots of messages. A new way, evidently, to get some ads front and center.

P.S., don't know anything about Sudan grass, but Harry Vetch is supposed to work well. ;O) .... Just kidding; I mean of course, 'hairy vetch' - a strange name, I always thought for a rather pretty plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: vicia villosa

• chicago90
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'm not planning on putting in the cover crop over the grass, just as filler in those blank spaces to see the success rate.

• jolmos
    14 years ago

Clover did really well for me...it is quite tolerant of the heat when it is established. It is planted around my plants(roses and other prized beauties), and will let me know if the others need some water...It's been the best way to tell if it things need water...oh and the adding nitrogen to the soil has been great too...my roses are even bigger as are my cannas, onions...

• April
    8 years ago

I'm in Central TX and am using Sudan Grass to improve soil before landscape planting since I have time. I have planter that I'm trying to improve soil in. I planted about 7-8 weeks ago and have trimmed twice already. Since it gets hot here in central TX in summer, this is one cover crop that can grow. I plan on planting hairy vetch in Sep. this will put nitrogen into soil. Since I don't have a tractor to work soil I'm thinking of no till and I'll have to see how this plays out. Wish me luck

• authereray
    8 years ago

Thank you April ! Apparently no one else feels the same way. Sudan will have to be cut before it get's 4 ' or it will get tall like cane and head out and make seed. Which doesn't hurt but will make a large stalk.

• authereray
    8 years ago

Cowpeas are a very good idea. They are good for the soil. If you plant them thick enough they will make some mulch and add nitrogen to the soil. They have been used to build up poor soil and the South for many years as they will grow on poor soil and it doesn't matter what kind of cowpeas you plant. I am a big fan of cowpeas.