Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red Yucca from seed?

Posted by clysta 8 (dbaber@juno.com) on
Sun, Sep 10, 06 at 1:44

I decided to repost this message under the proper heading to gain more attention?
I am trying to start red yuccas from seed. Of the original 4 seeds that I planted, only one has come up. I have put the pot in a place where the seedling gets more sunlight. Seems to be doing well. I have also planted 4 more seeds. Is one out of 4 an expected result for planting seeds? I did not score (scratch)or presoak the seeds, that will be my next attempt.
Transplanting is not recommended here until at least September.
Found on another web site=
Propagation Methods:
By dividing rhizomes, tubers, corms or bulbs (including offsets)

From seed; direct sow outdoors in fall
From seed; sow indoors before last frost

Seed Collecting:
Allow pods to dry on plant; break open to collect seeds

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red Yucca from seed?

Growing Hesperaloe parviflora is pretty easy from seed. You probably will have better luck if you can plant more than four seeds at a time. Use a light, well draining propagation mix, sow the seeds about 1/4" deep. Germination takes about 2-4 weeks and is quicker if you keep the soil warm about 80F. Seedlings will take about 3 years to reach blooming size.

Hesperaloe form deeply rooted rhyzomes so asexuall reproduction can be a bit of a chore. Probably the easiest way is to by a large container grown plant, wash off the soil and cut the rhyzomes apart using a shharp knife. Let the new cuts suberize for a few days before planting in a well drained mix. Water sparingly.

Seed propagation is the way that most nurseries propagate hesperaloe. The exceptions are the yellow form of H. parviflora and the H. Parviflora x h. funifera hybrid which are micropropagated.

o
RE: Red Yucca from seed?

So far, out of a total of eleven seeds planted I have three plants coming up. One I just planted in the soil. The others I planted in potting soil. I have some seeds soaking in water now, but nothing is happening with them. Maybe they would do better than the others if I now put them in soil.
However, having read everything from comments here and websites that I found, it seems that the best way is to dig up a plant and divide the rhizomes. Especially since plants from seed won't bloom for 3 years. I was trying to start some plants for my new house which will be ready in December. I can landscape the back yard myself and I can add plants to the front yard after the builder landscapes it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here