Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
every1lovesjoey_

Tree ID

every1lovesjoey_
9 years ago

Can anyone tell me what kind of tree is in the picture. They look like ficus but I am not sure they are. I see them all over the Biltmore center and give lots of shade. I was thinking of planting them near my pool.

Comments (5)

• ra
    9 years ago

yep, that's a ficus tree.

Looks like Ficus Nitida.

Not sure if it's a good idea planting them near a pool. They get quite large, and the roots are aggressive and might destroy your pool. They're frost sensitive too, so if it gets really cold in your area, it might not a be a good choice to plant this tree.

• aztreelvr
    9 years ago

I echo raimeiken's advice. These trees are notorious for lifting pool decks, sidewalks, fence foundations, etc. They do provide shade, but also attract birds.....lots of birds. They line the streets in downtown Tempe and merchants hate the litter the birds leave behind, not to mention the noise of the bird flocks - mostly starlings and grackles. Their mature size is about 30 x 30 which is usually way to large for landscaped areas near pools.

Here's a link to information about plants that are suitable for poolside landscapes.

Here is a link that might be useful: plants for poolside landscapes

• waterbug_guy
    9 years ago

Lot's of stuff is notorious for lots of stuff.

It is true Ficus roots can lift sidewalks, attract birds, etc.. just like pretty much any tree can. I've seen dozens of very large Ficus planted within a few feet of sidewalks and foundations without issue. They're used a lot so you can see them many places. That doesn't mean there's never going to be an issue and it also doesn't mean issues are a certainty.

I wish I had a dime for every time I was planting a tree near a house, fence, sidewalk and had to listen to every passer by tell me some horror story about that tree and how I was doing it all wrong. It's the only irritating part about gardening for me. I either pretend I'm deaf or don't speak English and hope they move on.

Ficus is not my fav tree because of frost damage, but even that can be dealt with if you're willing. If you really want a Ficus you should get a Ficus after learning a bit about them like water requirements, grow speed, size, frost, etc. All trees and plants have pluses and minuses. To get the look and performance you want you have to sometimes question common beliefs.

• ra
    9 years ago

It's true of what you say. I get annoyed by that as well, but as expensive as a swimming pool is, I'd rather not take that risk. Plus ficus drop lots of leaves every day of the entire year, might not be a good idea near a pool.

I work at a resort and we have quite a few big ficus trees around and the leaf litter from them every day is amazing. Good thing we have a good landscaping team to blow and clean the place up every day. Come to think of it, there are a few of them growing close to size walks or even a raised concrete beds that I'm surprised they haven't destroyed yet. But it might just be a matter of time before it does.

• waterbug_guy
    9 years ago

I personally don't really see the difference between 1000 and 2000 leaves. It's not like I pick them up one at a time. A pool skimmer should handle most of the leaves and pools have to be vacuumed to handle the rest. So imo even if a certain tree drops more leaves than another there's no real increase in maintenance.

Shapes of leaves can be a bigger problem imo. Pine needles can be a problem for slimmers. Tiny leaves from mesquite, palo verde, etc., can be a problem for skimmers. But these issues can be handled by people willing to do a bit of thinking and research.

If a person is willing to spend $25-100k for a pool area, is willing to pay or do all the maintenance a pool requires, then why not plant the landscape they want too? Don't let a couple of extra leaves get in the way.

As far as actual damage to sidewalks, pools, foundations...Sidewalks are cheap and easy to replace. A big tree next to a sidewalk after say 30 years of growth may get bad enough to need repair. Knock out a section and maybe $50 worth of concrete to replace and you get another 10-30 years of useful life. Very little cost for a big beautiful tree. Many people accept that small cost, many don't.

Damage to foundations and concrete pools...OK, this is so rare it should be considered virtually impossible. Pools and foundations do crack. And if there is a tree within 30 yards it will likely be blamed by the home owner...but the trees are not the cause.

People do catch tree roots red handed... I once replaced a guy's cast iron sewer line. Cracked section full of tree roots. Guy sees the roots, looks up at the trees and says "I want all those damn trees gone". I explain the cracked pipe was directly below the house's cracked and settled foundation. Cast iron doesn't like to bend, so it cracked. Sewage then leaks out, which roots love and grow thru the cracks and fill the pipe. Guy looks at me like I'm an idiot, which is pretty normal. Wanting a happy customer I offer to remove the damn trees. So $800 for the sewer line and $2500 to remove those damn trees. His yard looked like crap but he was happy with the fantasy world he'd created for himself. I was happy too, so win-win.

Human imagination is a great asset...when controlled.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting