Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
noclue80

Phoenix lawn rye time?

Noclue80
10 years ago

Temps seem to now be below 100 consistently with lows in the 60's. Is it now the right time to scalp the Bermuda which is still pretty green and shut off the water for 2 weeks? Then plant my rye seed?

Comments (5)

• aztreelvr
    10 years ago

Don't shut the water off!!! Instead cut the frequency in half. Then stop mowing the lawn 7 days before overseeding.

Do not fertilize for 4 to 6 weeks before overseeding This is a good time for light dethatching if needed. The object is to prepare good seed-to-soil contact without damaging the bermuda. Set the verticutter so the blades cut 1/4 inch below the soil and only open the canopy enough to allow the seed to make contact with the soil. Do not "dig" into the soil or heavily dethatch, it will damage the bermuda next spring.

Seed Placement and Mulching:
    1. Scalp down the lawn by mowing 3 times to allow the seed to make contact with the soil. First cut at the regular height; then cut at the next lower height, collecting the clippings of each mowing. If using a reel mower, seed between the second and third mowings. On the third mowing, remove the catcher allowing the clippings to remain over the seed as the mulch.
    2. For each 1,000 square feet of lawn area use 10 to 15 pounds of seed for perennial rye and 10 to 20 pounds of seed for annual rye
    3. Divide the seeds into two lots. Using a broadcast spreader or a drop spreader, spread one lot across the area in rows then spread the second lot at right angles to create a crisscross pattern. Rake or drag to ensure the seeds make contact with the soil
    4. Cover the seed with no more than 1/4 inch of weed and salt-free material such as composted steer manure, forest mulch, or the uncollected clippings of the third mowing (Step1). Top dressing helps retain moisture and moderates temperature for seed germination (helpful if cool temperatures come early).

Watering
    Water the turf 3 ��" 4 times daily at 10:00 a.m., 12:00 noon, 2:00 p.m. and at 4:00 p.m. with just enough water to keep the top 1/2" wet (3 ��" 5 minutes is usually adequate for pop-up sprays). This is necessary for the seeds to germinate and emerge, which should take about 7 days. When the grass is 1 inch high water once a day. After the second mowing, water once every 2 ��" 3 days to a depth of 4 ��" 6 inches. Once the lawn is established, water once every week ��" less often if we receive winter rain. Water only enough to avoid wilt between waterings.

Mowing
    When the grass is about 2 inches high (about 2 weeks after overseeding), mow to a height of 1 1/2 inches. Perennial rye can be mowed lower, but it is best to allow the grass to become established before closer mowing or seedings may pull out. Use sharp mowing blades and do not mow when the lawn is wet.

Fertilizing
    After the first mowing, fertilize the lawn with a high phosphate fertilizer like superphosphate, triple superphosphate, or a complete fertilizer that is 20% phosphorous or more by weight. Ammonium phosphate (16-20-0) works well too.

Sound like a lot of work? You could skip overseeding this year and use the time you save for...

• newtoucan
    10 years ago

Crazy amount of work.

• mjp_80
    10 years ago

I did mine on the 12th. Boy was I out of it this year and don't know what I was thinking. I had to water so much and the yard is still spotty

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

It's a lot of work, and then you have the hassle of getting rid of it in the spring. And it damages the Bermuda for the summer.

Why bother? Go skiing!

• mjp_80
    10 years ago

With me I don't have bermuda or a summer lawn. It's just too much water. If I did I would say skip the winter rye. I had a house with bermuda and I think the rye every year made it weak and thin out.