Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phxlynne

Full shade container plants

phxlynne
10 years ago

Would love suggestions for colorful or fragrant container plants that would grow in the shaded area of my patio. It faces south and will get a little bit of sun in the late winter (this picture was taken last December). Also, in the back corner near the TV in this pic, I'd like to put something decorative and big enough to fill the space. Thanks for any help!

This post was edited by PhxLynne on Fri, Sep 13, 13 at 3:53

Comments (17)

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    10 years ago

Hi Lynne, I'm not a lot of help because until about the last year my landscape/grow issue was too much sun. We planted a couple of mesquites three years ago which are now coming in nicely. I do have one plant on my patio that I like very much. It takes lots of abuse, no water, too much water, too much sun, too cold......and gets straggly but always comes back. Cuttings are super-easy, whack off a stem and shove it into the soil around it and the leggi-ness quickly gives way to a nice busy plant. Here's a couple of pics, two different plants. The smaller one is recovering from me leaving it in too much sun and no water most of the summer. It likes some sun but does best in bright shade. African Poinsettia (Synadenium grantii 'Rubra')

I will happily give you some cuttings but I'd really like to trade for a clump of lemon grass. I'd rather not move the one I have to a new spot because it's mixed with a Turk's Cap and the spot I have in mind for a the new lemon grass I'd like to be a pure lemon grass bush.
    I'll post the two pics separately because I don't have them uploaded to my Shutter Fly site.

10 years ago

Here's a child of the above parent (this plant has many children around the Valley!!) That tall stem in the back needs to be whacked off......want it??? (Please pardon the walls behind these plants, hubby is in the throes of repainting the house and is in "primer" stage.)

• tomatofreak
    10 years ago

Mary, that is a gorgeous plant! Did you have it when I was last at your house? Thanks for all the info, too.

10 years ago

Hello TF, yes, I've had that plant for many years so it was likely here, the parent is on the front porch. It came originally from AZRobin on Dave's.

• phxlynne
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Your African Poinsettia is beautiful! Thanks for your generous offer. Of course you can have some lemongrass :)

10 years ago

Hi Lynne, Thanks! You don't have an email address listed in your profile. If you click my name you can send me an email and we'll make arrangements to swap cuttings. Thanks again. Mary

• calb_gardner
    10 years ago

Hello Lynne My front patio Is in full shade and my back has the same amount as sunlight as yours. Any Plants from the Sansaveria family Will do well here all year except for maybe a little protection in the winter if we are going to get a freeze. I also have a Madagascar palm and 3 Arabian jasmine vine. I have over 25 different types of plants on my patio I will try to include photographs.
    Let me know if you see something you like

• calb_gardner
    10 years ago

Let's try that again so you do not have to turn your head

• calb_gardner
    10 years ago

I will attach several more photos sorry I do not know how to put them all in one post

• calb_gardner
    10 years ago

Another

• calb_gardner
    10 years ago

Last one

10 years ago

Very nice patio calb.

• Laura81
    10 years ago

Calb, You keep your Madagascar in the shade? I thought they were a sun plant.

• calb_gardner
    10 years ago

Laura ,yep It has been in that spot for eight years. I give it a half turn once a year. Although these past two years we have had a hummingbird nesting in it so I did not want to turn it, And it is leaning a little bit.

• Laura81
    10 years ago

Calb, what ever you are doing it certainly is working. Your Madagascar is beautiful.

• Houndhome
    10 years ago

How about a Raphis Palm? I have one on my patio that is nice and full and fills a corner nicely.

• grant_in_arizona
    10 years ago

Awesome patio and plants, Calb, thanks for posting them! So fun to see. You've got a ton of great looking shade tolerant plants there! Do I see a Sarcostemma in there? That's one of my favorite shade plants. I've got S. viminale in full shade and it's done great for years now, even blooming and setting seeds. If I see one in your collection, yours is much larger. All of yours look neat.

Interesting to hear about the Pachypodium doing well in shade, I've always grown mine in full hot sun, but it would be nice to get some in shade too. Great pics and info all!

Happy gardening,
    Grant

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County