Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stevecat_gw

Fall Vegetable Garden

stevecat
13 years ago

Hi,I think I have information overload. I searched old posts but....

I just made a 4x4 raised bed in Gilbert. I bought soil (Amend brand) and now I need your expert collective help.

Do I need more organic material, and do I mulch after planting?

Exactly what plants should I get? We like herbs and all vegetables.

Exactly when do I plant?

Sorry for being such a newbie!

Comments (4)

• thisisme
    13 years ago

stevecat Amend is not a potting or planting mix. I think you should explain how you used Amend. What else did you mix it with?

• stevecat
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I used Kellog Amend and Kellogg soil....

• sundrop07
    13 years ago

I have a newly acquired planter box that is about 3 ft. x 9 ft. I filled it with a couple of inches of coarse mulch on the bottom, then added a mixture of 2 bags composted manure, 2 bags amend and about a 3 in. layer of garden soil from the yard and about 5 in. of compost on top of the mulch and mixed in a handful of greensand and same of blood meal. I watered it in well and let dry a bit before planting transplants of eggplant, peppers and basil. I also planted seeds of malabar spinich, chard, butternut squash, melons, and tomatillos. All plants look healthy, I have several small melons, tomatillos are blooming as are the peppers, malabar spinich is climbing up a trellis, butternut squash are blooming so I think the mix is okay. My box is almost twice the size of yours so you could cut the amounts in half depending on the depth and if it's on the ground you probably wouldn't need the mulch layer on the bottom. If using the greensand and bloodmeal, less is better than more, maybe just a good pinch of each. I'm getting ready to apply Kellogg's Organic fertilizer at half the recommended rate. 4x4 isn't going to hold a huge amount of vegs but you could plant seeds for leaf lettuce mix, spinich and radishes for a salad garden, greens such as kale, chard even beets as you get the root and greens. You can still plant basil, parsley, thyme and cilantro. You could even put up a trellis and plant a couple of rows of sugar snap peas on the side that wouldn't shade the bed. Sept. will still be very hot during the day so seeds will have to be kept damp, water gently a couple of times a day til they germinate. I usually try to get all my fall planting done in my other garden plot by the middle of the month, definitely by Oct. 1 My growbox is still full of the summer vegs so I'll be waiting til they're done for the season and plant winter crops probably Nov. or Dec. And don't apologize for being a newbie, ask all the question needed as help is out there. There are as many ways to garden as there are gardeners and what works for one may not work for another and we all learn by trial and error. Good luck in whatever you decide to grow.

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA