Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mesquite, ironwood

Posted by lightnin_rick 9 BCC AZ (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 10, 13 at 11:32

Is there a way to stop all the suckers from growing at the bottom of and on the trees. I have to cut them off 4 or 5 times a year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mesquite, ironwood

I don't have either of these trees, but my chaste trees and lysilomas both send suckers up from the base. I don't think it's something you can stop; it's the nature of the trees.

o

If you can catch them early when very tender, and rub them off with a gloved hand, it seems to work much better than pruning.

o

How old are they? They might be suckering to protect their trunks from the sun.

I have a tree that suckered badly when it was first planted, but once it developed a shady canopy, it stopped.

o

I don't think there is any trump card for winning the battle on suckers, it seems like everything that does well here puts them out.

Olive, palo verde, mesquire, desert willow, ironwood, oleander, african sumac, and so many more.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here