Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garden_trolip

Dichondra in mostly shade?

Garden_trolip
18 years ago

I'd like to try Dichondra between my flagstone, it gets a.m. sun, maybe a little afternoon. Anyone have Dichondra that works well with shade?

Comments (15)

• aguane
    18 years ago

It 'volunteered' in my yard and I can't keep it under control ... just keeps creeping up - ONLY in the shade! Can't eliminate it in the beds.

• dirt_dew
    18 years ago

Dichondra prefers shade in our hot season.

• Easygoing
    18 years ago

Yep, and it loves nice clean flower beds where roses provide shade for it. Forever pulling it out of my rose beds *sigh*. Another fina addtion that came with the house.

easy

• judy_b
    18 years ago

I don't mind dichondra around the roses. It's shallow rooted and keeps the area cooler, besides it's nice and green.

• CissyCat
    18 years ago

I'm with Judy, you don't have to mow or weeder eat it either...

Trudi

• Pagancat
    18 years ago

Living mulch, great thing.

• Garden_trolip
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Okay...Dichondra is in, guess we'll see?
    {{gwi:417696}}

• birdlady_in_mesa
    18 years ago

and it looks lovely! I had it under one of my trees and that is where it did best. I am sure it will thrive and continue to compliment your garden.

Susie

• RdRnnr
    18 years ago

Very nice! We kept it in every spot that had shade and especially around the roses. Lord forbid if we stepped on it as kids, and it kept no secrets...within a day or two the results would always show, lol.
    Beautiful job!

• drygulch
    18 years ago

Nice look! I assume you recently planted these?

Can I ask where you got them (I haven't seen dichondra plants for sale anywhere)?

Does dichondra stay nice and green through the winter?

Thanks!

• azamigo
    18 years ago

It's the only thing I can keep alive under the dense shade of my olive, pine and citrus trees. I have flood irrigation so the dichondra can be underwater for a couple days at a time which doesn't seem to bother it. Does a great job of keeping down dust and prevents "mudpits" from forming every time I irrigate.

• Garden_trolip
    Original Author
    18 years ago

drygulch, I bought flats of Dichondra @ Summer Winds ;)

• aztransplant
    18 years ago

My father-in-law has been trying for years to grow a dichondra lawn in his front yard in San Diego. As many of you know, San Diego is pretty temperate all year round. But his dichondra attempts have been a big dud because his yard is in full sun.

So my guess is that if it doesn't work in sun in San Diego, it probably won't work in sun here either. :-)

Of course, that doesn't prevent him from continuing to try...10 years now and his front yard is still dirt with the most pathetic patches of dying dichondra you've ever seen. LOL!

• bajajim
    13 years ago

Anyone know what will kill bermuda and not dichondra?

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

bajajim - read labels on the herbicisdes.

I think an ingredient called fluazifop (spelling approximate) will do it.

Sponsored