Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Holly Trees

Posted by rainydaypeopleaz phoenix az (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 16, 08 at 12:54

Hi, I am new here and I just want to ask a question.

Do Holly Trees grow in Phoenix - Mesa AZ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Holly Trees

Welcome to the low desert. Our climate and soils are very different from just about anywhere else in the country and most things you were familiar with will struggle here.

The good news is that there is a desert-adapted substitute for many of the plants you knew back home. For holly try our Barberry (Berberis trifoliolata) a large shrub with holly-like leaves and small yellow flowers. The red berries attract birds.

Some of the oak varieties do well here if you are looking for a tree with holly-like leaves. For a tree with red berries try the Chinese Pistache (Pistacia chinensis). They have brilliant red/orange fall color and female trees produce red berries.

You can search in Landscape Plants for the Arizona Desert on-line at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Landscape Plants for the Arizona Desert

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here