Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
houndhome

DBG Fall Sale

Houndhome
10 years ago

Hi Everyone - I have read so much on this forum about the Desert Botanical Gardens sale. I will be attending my 1st one next month - the fall sale. Just wanted to get any info/words of advice from you all that have attended in the past. Is there anything I should bring - like a wagon, etc or do they have something there to help you haul your goodies? Also, how are their prices? I'm really excited to see what they have as I have a few spots left in my courtyard that could use a few agaves or cactus. Thanks in advance!

Comments (6)

• dlg421
    10 years ago

Hi Houndmom,

The garden sale is always fun with lots of unusual and common plants for sale. They have shopping carts and pull carts for you to use. Go early for the best selections.

Regarding the prices - some of the prices are competitive with local nurseries, while some are a bit higher. If price is a concern to you, then do some shopping before the DBG sale so you know if you are getting a good deal or not. Otherwise proceeds from the sale help support the garden, which is the purpose of the sale.

Happy shopping.

Just a note for those interested: the dates of the DBG sale are October 11 for members only and then Oct 12 + 13 for the general public. Tohono Chul Gardens in Tucson is also having their sale on the 12th + 13th.

• joncongaroo
    10 years ago

Get there early, before 7am on Saturday. If you're a member go Friday early. By 9am the line to checkout is usually over 100 feet long. They have carts. The prices are OK with a membership. If not the local nurseries prices are the same or cheaper.

• ChasingCenturies (Arizona 9b)
    10 years ago

Go Friday 7 AM, much of the best stuff is gone by Saturday. If you do go for the Saturday leftovers, get there really early. Sadly, most of the stuff there is from vendors, rather than the DBG itself, but it's still worthwhile.

• Houndhome
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for the input. Unfortunately, I am not a member so I cant go until Sat. Guess I will take my chances and hope for the best being there at 7am. If there is anything you suggest I look for, please let me know. I am specifically looking for smaller sized agaves that can take mostly full sun.

• ChasingCenturies (Arizona 9b)
    10 years ago

A. macroacantha
    A. shrevei
    A. glomeruliflora
    A. zebra

I'm listing these because I've seen them at past DBG sales.

• grant_in_arizona
    10 years ago

The DBG sales are GREAT. The spring one is the better of the two in my opinion, but only slightly so. It's definitely worth the paltry price to join the garden and get into the sales on the members only day, plus unlimited entry all year, free passes for visitors you can give out, and a discount at the DBG gift store, invitations to special members only previews etc. It's a great deal. Oh AND it's partially tax deductible too! You could join now and have a temporary card in time for the sale. Member previews are great, especially if you're a plant shark, seeking new, rare, unusual varieties. I got almost every sale. Fun.

They usually have plenty of carts, but sometimes on the public days they run low. That's why I bought my own little collapsible cart that I always take with me (you can buy them at Walmart or the Container Store, or lots of places--I got mine at the Pasadena flea market, LOL). Good to have an insurance policy!

Earliest is bestest, hah. The rescue table often has some neat plants that just need some TLC, or are cuttings etc that easily root and grow. It's almost at the exit, just before the registers. I always fun some great rescues there.

Have fun and let us know how it goes! So fun!
    Happy gardening and happy shopping!
    Grant

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone