Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dwarf Myrtle questions

Posted by gem1 w.phx 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 24, 05 at 13:19

I know several of you have had a problem or two with these.
My question is about watering. I know they do not like wet feet, but how often do they need to be watered?
I have planted a small hedge row, and have not yet added to my drip system, as I do not want them to get too much water. I am hand watering every few days and they seem to be okay at this point.
Can you guys tell me how often and how long you water these, both in summer and winter?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dwarf Myrtle questions

Okay, I know I posted an answer about an hour ago and now it's not here? So if it shows up...sorry for the duplicate. The 5 gallon I just bought @ Summer Winds says water 3 x's a week. I'm sure you could get by with less in the Winter ;)

o

• Posted by gem1 w.phx 9 (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 24, 05 at 20:23

Thanks G.T. - A year or so ago I planted some ( in a different spot). As soon as I planted we got some rain, and my myrtles were in a low spot - I think they got too much water! So,I was concerned, but sounds as if I can hook up to my existing drip which waters 3 x's a week in summer. These are planted on the high side of a slope, so hopefully won't have the same problem.

o

I have a large dwarf myrtle, about 8 feet tall and 10 feet in width. I don't water it at all. Its in my rocks and its center is about 8 feet from the grass, so I'm guessing it gets what it needs when I water the grass.

o

Yeah, myrtle is a Mediterranean plant is is pretty drought tollerant. It's pretty comparible to Italian cypress and rosemary in that sense. It should to great with a deep watering once every 1 or 2 weeks during the summer and maybe none at all during the winter depending on how much winter rain we get. If you're using is as a hedge you want to keep it healthy looking but don't want to encourage a lot of lush growth that you'll have to keep trimmed. Dwarf myrtle is one of the few plants that makes a beautifullly green hedge here in Phoenix that doesn't get burned up in the summer. Since it naturally grows tall unless it's trimmed you can even train it into a tree. They make really neat looking, twisting trunk trees-almost look like an olive. BUT, they drop hundreds of these little blue fruits all over the place that make a mess. If you keep it trimmed in a hedge you don't have to worry about the messy fruit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here