Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bromeliad has me wondering...

Posted by n0tmycupoftea none (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 8, 13 at 14:38

I have plenty of plants in my household from easy to care peace lilies and kalanchoes to difficult tropical plants that I keep in an indoor grow tent, so not really a stranger to plants, however I've had this bromeliad for about 4 months and just a week ago the top "flower" part has started to tilt and just look very unhealthy and dry. I have him a couple of feet away on a east facing window that gets plenty of sun as I live in an adobe apartment that doesn't get very much light anywhere else (and I have tried other areas of the place and this one in particular seemed to be suiting him just fine and he seemed to have been thriving just until recently).

I have read tons of stuff on bromeliads since acquiring him and it seems as though he is the only plant in my household that I can't keep happy. I keep the soil dry and water the cup about once a week, so I don't think it's root rot but then again I have no other idea what could be wrong with it. There's new growth coming up and outward from the cup of the bromeliad, the leaves feel healthy and are nice and thick, I clean his cup often, and yet I have no clue what could be wrong with him.

I have attached a picture and any kind of help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Oh ya, I live in New Mexico also. Indoor temp is steady at 79 and humidity ranging from ~58-62. If you need anymore info to help assess the problem I'd be more than happy to answer them.

Thanks again!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bromeliad has me wondering...

Bromeliads die after they flower. BUT they grow "pups" after this flowering period on their side. These you can propagate.

o
RE: Bromeliad has me wondering...

Sure looks like a Vriesea to me, and like raimeiken said, they're monocarpic (fruiting/flowering once and then dying, like most agaves do), so you're probably doing everything right and it's just fading after flowering. Look for pups/offsets and separate them out when they're nice and large, or just leave them in the pot. Most folks separate them away when they're too young, so better safe than sorry. Keep us posted!

Happy gardening!
Grant

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here