Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grant_in_arizona

Stinky six-pointed stapelias

grant_in_arizona
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

These are nothing too fancy, I know, but they're fun and blooming so I thought I'd share.

I grow a lot of stapelias in the ground (and lots of their stapeliad relatives in pots...Huernia...Orbea...Hoodia...etc) and these were blooming this week so I thought I'd post a few pics. They normally produce five pointed blooms but this week two different plants produced some six-pointed blooms (tennis ball to show relative size):

{{gwi:418469}}

{{gwi:418471}}

{{gwi:418473}}

For folks who aren't familiar with stapelias, they evolved in locations without pollinating bees so they look and resemble rotting meat to attract flies to pollinate the blooms. I think they are otherworldly and fun, and the scent isn't bad unless you get your nose within a foot or two of the blooms. I'm glad I can grow them outside year round, especially during their bloom season (late spring and late summer).

They're easy from cuttings and from seed (I have a few pots full of seedlings from the dark flowered plant above that I'll be planting outside now that things are somewhat cooling off).

I hope you'll take a look and enjoy. If you're growing stinkers indoors or out, let us see/hear alllll about them.

Take care,

Grant

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!