Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stinky six-pointed stapelias

Posted by grant_in_arizona USDA Z9 Scottsdale, (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 12, 10 at 14:48

Hi everyone,

These are nothing too fancy, I know, but they're fun and blooming so I thought I'd share.

I grow a lot of stapelias in the ground (and lots of their stapeliad relatives in pots...Huernia...Orbea...Hoodia...etc) and these were blooming this week so I thought I'd post a few pics. They normally produce five pointed blooms but this week two different plants produced some six-pointed blooms (tennis ball to show relative size):

For folks who aren't familiar with stapelias, they evolved in locations without pollinating bees so they look and resemble rotting meat to attract flies to pollinate the blooms. I think they are otherworldly and fun, and the scent isn't bad unless you get your nose within a foot or two of the blooms. I'm glad I can grow them outside year round, especially during their bloom season (late spring and late summer).

They're easy from cuttings and from seed (I have a few pots full of seedlings from the dark flowered plant above that I'll be planting outside now that things are somewhat cooling off).

I hope you'll take a look and enjoy. If you're growing stinkers indoors or out, let us see/hear alllll about them.

Take care,
Grant

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stinky six-pointed stapelias

Grant;
I've really enjoyed the ones you sent me a few years ago. I've propagated them several times and am ready to do it again if I can ever get the help, I think I'll have over 2000 of them by now...

o

I really like the burgundy one.

o

Thanks for looking/commenting! Turtle, I sure hope you post some pics of your babies, they sound impressive!

Lazy, if you want seeds or a cutting just send me a private email, I'm happy to share.

Take care and thanks again,
Grant

o
Huernia procumbens

This is a stapeliad (in the stapelia family) rather than a stapelia. It's Huernia procumbens and it is blooming this week so I thought I'd toss in a pic. The flower is much smaller than the stapelias pictured above, probably the size of a US quarter or maybe a US fifty-cent piece.

I hope you enjoy.
Take care,
Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: Huernia procumbens bloom

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here