Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suggestions for A edible privacy screen

Posted by jojosplants Az Z9 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 9, 10 at 15:08

Hi Everyone,
I am hoping for some suggestions for a privacy screen that would also produce fruit.

I am in Tucson, and it would get full sun and be shaded from later afternoon.

I am also needing to plant it in containers. I just got 2 pineapple guavas and was considering more. Anyone here have any luck getting fruit from them?

I reas some old posts and it seems they can be a little tricky.

Thank you ,
JoJo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suggestions for A edible privacy screen

The "in containers" part is whats going to make this hard. It would help if the containers could be partly planted in the ground essentially making the pots into a raised bed. Even then it would have to be something that spreads in order to get full coverage.

If you could use a raised bed I would say go with Prunus Americana.

This Fall I plan on building a raised bed where the first 2X12 is buried with only 1" above ground with another 2X12 on top. That way the roots would have to travel roughly 23" down and 12" back up before they can sucker outside the raised bed. I plan on mowing around the beds to control any suckering that does occur.

o

loquat, pomegranite, surinam cherry

o

Hi Everyone,
I appriciate the suggestions, but trees just wont work.
I'm sorry I wasn't more specific.
I'm in a trailor park, so it can't get real big, and can't go in the ground.
Where it needs to go, has a water line that runs to the street.

I really want a shrub of some sort, I can trim to the size I want, and get fruit.

Maybe I will get more guavas.
Thanks,
JoJo

o

Surinam cherry is a bush with tropical cherries.

o

I second a vote for pomegranate. You can trim it to be very shrubby, and it is a good producer in the warm winter areas of AZ. Let us know what you select and how it works out. Good luck! Grant

o

Hi Everyone!
I really appreciate the additional help.

I did go ahead and get a small pomegranite last night from Lowes. and a new fig tree. Were going to let the Fig grow as a bush, towards the back of the property. It's the front half im most concerned about and need evergreen. :)

I did some searching on the "surinam cherry", and im not sure about that one. The plant would certianly work and sounds neat , but i've read some iffy stuff about the flavor of it being bad.

phxplantaddict~~ Are you growing this? or is anyone here that can give some input on the flavor of it.

Thanks again for all your help.
JoJo

o

I am growing the cherry, I like the taste.

o

Thank you!
I will see if I can find it.

Did you get yours local, or mail order?

JoJo

o

Grapes or blackberries?

o

I brought back a few from San Diego 3 years ago. Nice plants, fast growers.

o

I would have suggested a fig tree as well. They are beautiful trees. Just be sure to protect the root zone from our hot sun and it should do real well.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here