Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newtoucan

New vine taking over

newtoucan
9 years ago

This new vine showed up and it was all over my plants. No one else around has it and I didn't plant it. It starting attaching itself to the house. Looks like it spreads easily by runners. I pulled up a lot of it but suspect it will be making a comeback, What is it?

Comments (14)

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    9 years ago

Picture??

• pumpkineater2
    9 years ago

Cat's claw vine maybe?

• newtoucan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's the picture.

• azbolt
    9 years ago

Ugh, weed from hell, it's a type of milkweed. Pull it, it will take over.

Kevin

• aztreelvr
    9 years ago

This is Climbing Milkweed (Sarcostemma cynanchoides) which is commonly found in the low desert near fence lines. It is the larval host for the Queen butterfly so if you want to attract these beauties you might consider leaving it.

It has an unpleasant odor if cut or broken and very interesting flower clusters and seed pods.

Here is a link that might be useful: Climbing milkweed

• newtoucan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the ID. Is it hard to get rid of if I let it grow a little? The way it grew so quickly it looks like a tough vine. There were various attachment point to the ground. When digging it up it looks like it will spread from runners. I have enough trouble with Bermuda grass and don't need one more thing to struggle with. The butterflies are consuming my passion fruit vine. If let it grow if the caterpillars could finish it off. I didn't see a single insect on it and it didn't smell bad when I was tearing it out.

• grant_in_arizona
    9 years ago

I'm so envious! I have collected seed from dozens of these plants and have planted them all over my garden but none have ever sprouted. Yes, they're weeds and they can be aggressive, but I love the blooms and delicate foliage plus all of the caterpillars and butterflies they attract. They can get out of control so keep an eye on it.

Happy gardening,
    Grant with vine envy, hah!

• waterbug_guy
    9 years ago

I'm with you Grant.

1. Using weeds as plants. Brown nut sedge is my current fav. Now I will be looking for some Climbing Milkweed.

2. I have the utmost confidence in my human abilities being able to control a plant in my yard. I find being able to move to be a huge advantage. The brain is only handy when I remember to use it. Kind of a Catch-22.

• newtoucan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I will be selling as much climbing milkweed as you want and will throw in some Bermuda grass. All you want for a nickel.

• waterbug_guy
    9 years ago

Gotta dig it myself?

• ernie85017, zn 9, phx
    9 years ago

I'll sell some, too! I'll even do you one better. All the bermuda you want, one penny!!!
    Come one, come all.

• grant_in_arizona
    9 years ago

Hahahah! Very funny about selling it. Honestly, I wish someone did as I've collected seeds for YEARS and haven't gotten any good results. Grumble grumble. I see it totally taking over chain link fences all over the place. I'm jealous! LOL.

I grow a lot of "weeds' or native plants in my garden too, water bug guy. Lots of cassias (sennas), penstemons, brittle bush, desert marigolds, and my favorite success story: wolf berry and chokeberries from seeds I've collected around. Any opuntia/cholla that pops up in a spot that's not bad gets to live too. Great that we think alike.

Bermuda grass people can keep it, hah!
    Happy gardening all!
    Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics from my garden, so far, Sept 2014

• waterbug_guy
    9 years ago

Very nice photos and garden Grant. You are a plant collector. I was in San Jose but am trying to resist here. But slowly they're creeping in.

• newtoucan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This vine is back again. If anyone wants to come and dig it out, I will throw in a small bag of Bermuda seed and a spreader. It's invasive plants Black Friday! Seriously just message me. I really not want the vine.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?