Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ldramey01

Best nursery for succulents in Chandler area?

ldramey01
11 years ago

I keep seeing the same succulents offered over and over at all the nurseries, does anyone know of a place that sells more colorful/interesting varieties? See link below:

http://www.sunset.com/static/pdf/Succulents_Planting_Plan.pdf

I hate to order plants online if I can buy local, anyone know where I would find some of the varieties listed on sunset's pdf?

Comments (8)

• azbolt
    11 years ago

Arizona Cactus Sales is all I can think of in Chandler area, they are at:
    1619 South Arizona Avenue Chandler, AZ 85286
    (480) 963-1061

Fun place!

Kevin

• grant_in_arizona
    11 years ago

I'm with Kevin as usual. AZ Cactus Sales is AWESOME. I get down there every time I have time. Love it.

If you're open to going outside of Chandler there are tons of great cacti and succulents nurseries around, like Desert Foothills in Cave Creek/N. Phoenix, the "Carefree Cactus Garden", oddly enough in Scottsdale, and a few others too.

Also a lot of those plants in the Sunset guide you posted will melt here in summer (Echeverias, especially) but AZ cactus sales and several other local nurseries have some good stuff.

Let us know what you get, and how it works out! Happy gardening!

Here is a link that might be useful: Desert Foothills Nursery

• newtoucan
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info. I'll have to check the AZ Cactus Sales out. You would think succulents are easy to grow here, but I've managed to kill many of them despite putting in well drained soil, etc.

You might be able to get cuttings for free from places around town.

• ldramey01
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Although they are very helpful and friendly over at AZ Cactus, they are purely cactus (should have known that from the name, hah!). I didn't end up getting anything from them because I'm trying to avoid anymore cactus, but he referred me to Tree Land and gave me some excellent suggestions to achieve the look I want using plants that won't "melt". Tree Land has an amazing selection, I got some purple hearts for the sunny areas and "hearts & flowers" succulent groundcover for the partly shady spots. I got some coral fountain grass for some large planters and some canna lillies for another sunny spot near my pool. It's a good start to soften up my harsh desert landscape. Thanks again for all the advice, I'd rather plant things that will survive and be happy in my yard than have to re plant all the time. My mission to find pretty and "soft" desert plants continues...

• dirtydoug
    11 years ago

As a licensed landscape contractor I have been to Treeland Nursery many times. A great selection and the people are very professional.

• grant_in_arizona
    11 years ago

Great that you got some good recommendations! Hearts and flowers (Aptinia) is a great choice, as is coral fountains. A lot of succulents that love life in L.A., San Diego, and elsewhere melt in our summers (Echeverias are famous for it, locally), so it's neat you got great, locally-adapted advice. Keep us posted! Thanks for the fun update.

• Pagancat
    11 years ago

I stopped at Baker Nursery yesterday - they've definitely expanded their Aloe collection - some that I *really* want.

Of course, that's not Chandler, but still!

• PRO
    Jennifer Everett Plants
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I have an online plant nursery (with meetup or car delivery) in Phoenix and might have some of the variety you're looking for. My houzz profile page (click the profile photo to the left) has a few examples of the plants I care for under artificial light.