Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kazooie_gw

boojum tree question

kazooie
18 years ago

my DH is interested in getting some photos of a boojum tree (specifically the one that is at boyce thompson arboretum) and we were wondering when is the best time that it is in bloom with leaves. will they bloom after a good rain like the ocotillos or do they mostly just bloom in the spring and go dormant for the rest of the year?

Comments (16)

• Pagancat
    18 years ago

Good question ... I think they're a little more seasonal than the Ocotillos, but to be sure I'd give the DBG's plant hotline a call. BTW, they have at least two there - one near the succulent tent and one up near some buildings and Arcadia Farms. I think this pic was taken in February or March.

{{gwi:419360}}

• kazooie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

nice pic, pagan. that is a good idea to call the hotline. thanks!

• Pagancat
    18 years ago

You betcha!

• Pam Honeycutt
    18 years ago

Interesting tree, never seen one before.

Thanks,
    Gemfire

• Pagancat
    18 years ago

Gemfire, did you ever read Lewis Carroll, of "Alice in Wonderland" fame? I've heard that he wrote about the Boojum in honor of the plant, I've also heard that the plant was named Boojum because of his writing. Chicken or the egg, but fun piece of trivia.

They are also nick-named upside down tree, or carrot tree, beacuse it looks like either a tree whose planter put it upside down or a huge, kinda blue carrot.

Two little factoids (all that I know about them) is that 1)they take about 75+/- years get to get to the height of the one in the picture, and 2) Their "branches" grow in a whorl down the trunk, which you can see in the picture above. They are also (newly, I think) in the Fouquiera genus, making them cousins to our Ocotillos.

TMI?

• turtleman49
    18 years ago

Its one of 13 members in that family;

Fouquieria columnaris

• Easygoing
    18 years ago

There are some wonderful specimans of the Boojum tree at the Boyce Thompson Arboretum too. I have pictures from my trip there on my website under "Great Places To Visit In Arizona". Generally they are leafed out in the winter months, and loose there leaves in the hotter months. Although, I have one in a pot, and it's acting crazy this year. It's aleady setting leaves after the last monsoon storm. I've never seen it set leaves this early...wonder if that means somthing weather wise?

Easy

• kazooie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

easy, how big is your potted boojum? where did you get it from?

DH went to boyce thompson yesterday and said the boojum there had leaves. maybe it was from the recent rains.

now that we know that the boojums leaf out mostly in the winter months, we can plan another trip out there so DH can get some more pictures (the light yesterday was not the best when he went and he was not expecting it to have leaves). thanks easy!

• minime8484
    18 years ago

My boojum (only 1 1/2 ft, in-ground) still has yet to put out a leaf this season, but a couple have hung on through the entire hot summer. Mine grew like mad in later winter when we had a lot of rains here in the valley (Phoenix area) (BTW - "mad" is a relative term for Boojums! They grow slowly!)

I was just at the DBG last month and their biggest boojums were almost leafless, but were blooming like crazy. From what I understand, this is not uncommon for Boojums (and happens often with some of my other species of Fouquieria) - leaves & blooms occur at different times, so it might be a challenge to get a pic with both!! = )

It is growing season for the rest of the spp of Fouquieria I have, so this is a Fun Time for me!

Good luck!
    Tristan

• Easygoing
    18 years ago

Mine is probably about mmmm, guessing, here at work without it in front of me, 12 to 15 inches tall. I got mine from Arizona Cactus Sales, right here in Chandler, AZ. Fun place to go if you haven't been. It's on AZ Avenue, just south of Pecos, actually south of the 202 at this point with that now going all the way through to AZ Ave. So "easy" to get to...it will be the death of my checkbook.

There are many great times to visit Boyce Thompson. Generally I try for twice a year. Once in the fall when the colors are changing and it's cooled enough for the walk, and in early spring. I just love it there.

Easy

• kazooie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

easy, i LOVE going to az cactus sales. they are so close to get to and have some neat stuff. their staff is pretty friendly and helpful too. i have not been there in a long time, but i do plan to go when the weather cools a bit. next time i go, i will look around for a little boojum. i would like to add one to my collection.

we also go to boyce thompson usually in the fall and spring. personally, i think march and april are the best months to go. DH is working on getting his photos displayed in the gallery there next year in july (it was one of the few months that was available for next year), and then again in march of 2007.

• Pagancat
    18 years ago

LOL, Tristan.... the funniest things tickle gardeners...

http://www.pagancat.com/images/kitty_freaks_mc.gif

• minime8484
    18 years ago

Ha! I know what you mean! I get a bit crazy every now and then (and I mean EVERY "now" and EVERY "then"!!)!

My Fouqs always throw some surpises my way...right now, my F. macdougali is blooming (!), even though for the past 2 years, it has only bloomed in the spring! And, although it is fully leafed out and growing like mad now, when it bloomed in April/May, it was almost totally leafless.

Fascinating group of plants...that often try your every nerve! Gotta luv 'em!

Cheers,
    Tristan

• cactusflowerfan
    14 years ago

There is a small nursery that only sells boojum trees in Tucson, AZ, called Boojum Unlimited. It is a fun place to visit and they have many boojum trees over 1 foot tall for sale.

• turtleman49
    14 years ago

I have about 2000 left, their not so hard on the pocket book at $10.00 each, I grew all of them from seed..

Here is a link that might be useful: My Boojums

• antm0
    14 years ago

if you guys like boojums... check out Fouquieria purpusii, and Fouquieria fasciculata :)