Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stemy_gw

Kaffir Lime in Tucson

stemy
18 years ago

Does anyone know where I can get a Kaffir (Thai) Lime tree in the Tucson area?

Comments (8)

• Andrikos
    18 years ago

I'm not positive if they have them but "Mesquite Valley Growers" (Pantano/Speedway) have a huge Citrus celection.
    It's all in the back in their greenhouses.
    Call them up: 721-8600.
    Good luck.

• stemy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thx for the suggestion. I checked MVG several months ago and they did not have any. Apparently, they get in a relatively small inventory and sold them fairly quickly. I'll check back with them, though, because they told me that they should get some more kaffir limes in the fall.

• flaming_librarian
    18 years ago

I was there this morning. None that I could see . . . I want one too! Maybe they're hiding them, if in high demand. I should have asked, but was obsessing about my new euphorbias and pots at the time :(

• eileenaz
    18 years ago

That's where I got mine- and a variegated pink lemon, too. I think that if you keep asking about something they think that a lot of people have been asking about them (meanwhile it's just you, asking several times) and get some.
    Winter before last my kaffir lime got frostbitten and dropped every single one of its leaves, but when the weather warmed up it grew new ones, so it's a good sport in my book.

• usha
    18 years ago

I have been trying to have one of these for a while only to find out that many internet nurseries won't ship them to AZ. Does any one know name of a place that sells them in phoenix/scottsdale area?

• jimdaz
    18 years ago

Hi usha,

Tropica Mango Nursery on Baseline and 30th St. used to sell them. I don't know if the nursery is still there with all the new development along Baseline Rd. Website is still active:
    http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Tropica_Mango_Nurseries.html

• stemy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Just went to MVG yesterday and picked up a Kaffir lime tree. :)

They didn't have any out in the lemon/lime house, but when I asked, they took me to the back part of the store where they were keeping them. They might be out in the customer area today, but they only had about 20 plants. Funny thing was that the guy was like "I never really understood why people buy these... the fruit is nasty."

I think that I might go pick up another one later this week...

stemy

• fta1135
    17 years ago

Kaffir Limes are in Tucson :)

Hi All,

I just wanted to let you know that I went to the MVG "Mesquite Valley Growers" on Pantano & Speedway today and bought a 15 gallon Kaffir Lime tree. WOW, it's a big tree :)

The largest 15 Gallon cost $99.58

They had at least 20-30 of these today.

The trees were located in the back greenhouses where all the other lemon/limes were located.

They were organized by size so you'll need to walk from building to building.

i.e. Dwarf Kaffir Limes were in one building and the 10, 15 gallon were in another building.

These trees were very nice and in good health, they were all grafted, some already had fruit and almost all of them were flowering.

I'm so glad to finally get my hands on one of these, I had to leave behind my other tree (Kaffir Lime) in North Carolina.. It was about 7 feet tall, it didn't like the cold NC weather and I had to bring it in every year come winter time.

I hope somebody finds this useful...

Thank you "Stemy" for the tip on where to get these :))

Mesquite Valley Growers
    8005 E Speedway Blvd
    Tucson, AZ 85710
    (520) 721-8600

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz