Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goodluckkitty_gw

Rye Rye Rye

goodluckkitty
14 years ago

My hubby and I have a small grass backyard here in Mesa. We have a very large Mulberry (yuck!) that shades half the yard. When we moved in 5 years ago, we had St Augustine in the shade and Bermuda in the sun. Last October we planted Winter Rye for the first time, and I am HOOKED. We have 2 Great Danes, and they just loved it.

I stopped watering in May to let the Rye die and the Bermuda come back... but it didn't! The St Augustine didn't either. I have a couple of patches, but really, 70% of my yard is dead grass and dirt.

I have been raking up dead grass and leaves, and here is my question... I am due to have our first baby (!!!!) Oct 12th. The dogs HAVE to be walked 3X a day a week before the seed and for 3 weeks after the seed goes down. (Great Danes have BIG bladders.) All the websites online say don't plant until Oct, overnight temps 60, but the garden center said I can plant in 1-2 weeks but I have to water lightly 5-6 times a day. I won't be able to wait until October, because of the baby. (Well, maybe I could, but it would be a big pressure on the hubby.)

Can I plant in 1-2 weeks? Any advice?

Thank you in advance!!!

Dale

Comments (3)